performance on AGP Cards
(07-13-2017, 02:22 PM)gregory Wrote: Yes but your main memory is slow too. And normally game compress texture before the release, and main goal is to reduce load on the VRAM not  to reduce VRAM requirement. Here you want to compress texture on the fly, the cost won't be the same. PS2 texture are small, and most of them only use 8 bits by color (with a palette). Besides you also need to send vertices data and others stuff.

AGP & DDR1 are antiquity.

I have several pc at home but that particular pc is a jewel of retrocomputing i keep it connected to an old tv crt with a special rgb cable.
On another pc e4300 @ 2660ghz ddr2 800 single channel,
I have lower CPU and memory speeds (bench made with aida64) but the pciex bus is four to five times faster and the problem does not exist with pcsx2.
the agp pc run dolphin emu very fast perhaps because the textures are already compressed in dx format.
Or I miss something.

Sponsored links

er...
you're probably missing something.
Why are you talking about Dolphin ?
Are you aware it emulates totally different hardware ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-13-2017, 03:02 PM)jesalvein Wrote: er...
you're probably missing something.
Why are you talking about Dolphin ?
Are you aware it emulates totally different hardware ?

It was just to say
That the PC is not to be thrown away.
I also believe I'm the only one in the world with 865g chipset and 45 nanometer cpu.
Not to be thrown away, but limited when it comes to STR and things like pcsx2 that require a good PC.
Dolphin is completely different and doesn't have high requirements like pcsx2 has.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The issue is not the size of the texture but the number of time that we transfer the texture. PS2 memory is 4MB which include full framebuffer and texture. So basically you're limited to 2MB of texture on chip. So the PS2 already use some kinds of compression (you need to use 8 bit texture option to decompress it on the GPU). Sure newer algo are better, but there aren't N time better.

I'm afraid that you need to find a way to plug your CRT on newer hardware (which won't be easy as analog adapter are dropped nowadays).