portaudio: very low audio quality compared to xaudio2
When using portaudio in windows, audio, especially music sounds completely different and higher frequencies seem to be toned down. Xaudio2 sounds more like a real PS2 and seems to offer much better audio quality. Does anyone else experience this behavior?

pcsx2 1.2.1
buffer 160ms
game: FFXII for example
interpolation 4
async Mix

Sponsored links

(02-11-2014, 12:51 AM)etking Wrote: When using portaudio in windows, audio, especially music sounds completely different and higher frequencies seem to be toned down. Xaudio2 sounds more like a real PS2 and seems to offer much better audio quality. Does anyone else experience this behavior?

pcsx2 1.2.1
buffer 160ms
game: FFXII for example
interpolation 4
async Mix

It's not being developed as much as xaaudio2, no surprises. Just use the one which sounds better to you and keep the other for the eventuality of some game working better with the first.

PS: Blame Windows as well, nowadays even the DSound is gone for good.
Imagination is where we are truly real
portaudio is just a wrapper, same as xaudio2.

In XP it outputs to DSound, in Vista+ it outputs to the WSAPI or whatever its called.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(02-11-2014, 02:30 AM)refraction Wrote: portaudio is just a wrapper, same as xaudio2.

In XP it outputs to DSound, in Vista+ it outputs to the WSAPI or whatever its called.

I didnt know this. Settings with in settings with in more settings hahha
Well the plan is to get rid of everything but portaudio as you can choose the output module in that i believe.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

OS changes harmed badly some previously existent works. For example old emulators relied on techniques like 2xSAI, SuperEagle and alike to get smooth images. With Vista the bilinear filtering was gone and the same emulators looked as crap. Things got a little better again with Windows 8 returning some partial support to them but never like it was in XP.

The same happened to sound. With vista came the death of DSound and this broke support to all EAX based games. Creative managed to get a workaround with it's ALchemy but no luck for everybody else.

Well, MS already bent to OpenAL, maybe the time comes when the same will happen to OpenGL, the time will say.

PortAudio was written with DSound in mind, I believe it suffered something from the change. I can't really be sure since have not used it before to do comparisons. But I know for sure that xaudio2 plugin has been much more actively developed on pcsx2.

Edit: Wait, may I be confusing portaudio with Direct sound plugin? If portaudio is OpenAL based it may have a bright future ahead.
Imagination is where we are truly real