progress to lower reqiurments
Is there a chance that overtime the system reqiurment to run games at full/normal speed will lower? its not like im complaining just asking like will it become easier to emulate these games to where midrange pcs can finnaly run them or will the recommended stay the same no matter how much the emulator is worked on? eventually ill get a better pc for 3d modeling and music production and whatever but still jw lol

Sponsored links

not any time soon the fact they got it working this much is a supprise to me
but you are not alone in the suffering lol
only games i have been able to play some what was persona 3 and 4 rest lag up to 5fps
(07-03-2011, 03:11 AM)eos1001 Wrote: will it become easier to emulate these games to where midrange pcs can finnaly run them

current generation midrange pcs can already run pcsx2 pretty well except for the more demanding games.
note that by now a mid-range pc is an i5 processor system.
lowend is i3 or worse, and highend would be i7 or better.

the emulator will get more optimizations in the future, but there will also be slowdowns due to emulating things more correctly. so overall don't expect much speedups in the future.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
(07-03-2011, 04:14 AM)jason95821 Wrote: only games i have been able to play some what was persona 3 and 4 rest lag up to 5fps

Actually persona 3/4 can be pretty demanding, if you get 5fps in other games I'd assume they're of the heaviest Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(07-03-2011, 03:11 AM)eos1001 Wrote: Is there a chance that overtime the system reqiurment to run games at full/normal speed will lower? will the recommended stay the same no matter how much the emulator is worked on?

The system requirement is only lower when the core emulation code is rewritten, when PCSX2 devs find new way of course. In the lastest 0.9.8 release, I see they announce some parts rewritten, but perhaps for more accuracy instead of speed. Actually 0.9.8 is slower than 0.9.7 so I'm still using 0.9.7 for that reason. I'm not a PCSX2 dev so I do not know what they are doing for now, but I'm a programmer anyway, so I know it's hard to change the core components of a project. Last month I had to rewrote a thread in my mini-project for faster processing and it took me around a week and it still has some known bugs for now.

(07-03-2011, 03:11 AM)eos1001 Wrote: ... will it become easier to emulate these games to where midrange pcs can finnaly run them...

Definitively. Just wait patiently 'till 2015 and at that time Ivy Bridge and Bulldozer are considered mid-range.

(07-03-2011, 03:11 AM)eos1001 Wrote: ... will the recommended stay the same no matter how much the emulator is worked on?[/...

The recommendation have been staying there since v0.9.6. PCSX2 devs themselves claimed that the aim of the project is not speed, but accurary. So you can assume it for the next several years, until they're done with debugging and focus on speed I guess.
(07-03-2011, 07:40 AM)Livy Wrote: Actually 0.9.8 is slower than 0.9.7 so I'm still using 0.9.7 for that reason.

Depends... in some games it's faster, in others slower and in others speed didn't change... but you can be sure more games got fixed in 0.9.8 so that increases the overall speed a bit? Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Many people demand PCSX2 to use more CPU cores, support more games, have less bug... but it is likely none of them want to study emulation programming to help the project.

I've tried to read PCSX2 code. But all I can understand is the GUI part written by wxWidgets, which I'm using in my work Tongue. The rest is totally complicated and illegible Blink. I asked a senior sitting next to me: "What the hell they're coding here? Wacko". He looked at the source file for a while and finally gave up Laugh.
You know what they say, the world is going forward. It's enough if pcsx2 stays in around same place with reqs and with each year the real value of emulation speed will riseTongue. People upgrading their pcs's in 2-3 years will most likely see no problem with pcsx2 speed, even while buying something fairy cheap. As long as current world economy doesn't fail on the way;P. One day those poor asians must finally stop working for a bowl of rice=]. Wish them best on that.
PCSX2 is not so complicated. But you have to analyze code for weeks,not in 1 day.

0.9.8 speed is the same as in 0.9.7.
I believe the main focus is getting games to run (which includes accuracy). Optimization should happen naturally. Once games are actually running would the focus be on optimization.

I may be wrong but this is the general rule I've seen with emulators (compatibility, then optimization).