ps2dumper.elf
I'm trying to dump my BIOs using the new(ish) ps2dumper.elf but it doesn't seem to be working.
I have an unmodded Slim Ps2 but no good way to connect to the network so i am attempting to run it off usb through ulaunchelf (using a memor32).
The Elf will boot and show the credits at th top of the screen but it doesn't seem to be doing anything(is there a progress bar or something so i know it is going?). My assumption is that it is trying to dump via the network instead of to the USB but, i don't know how to force it to dump to USB. The readme mentions a --forceUSB command, but i don't now how to use these from something like ulauchelf. Any idea for getting this to work for me?

Sponsored links

Is your USB drive FAT32 formatted? It won't work with NTFS usb drives and seems like it works better on older usb sticks Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I second what Bositman says...
I ended up having to use an older 1GB usb stick, formatted to FAT32 in order to be able to dump my BIOS...

and to BobFred, don't you enable these commands through config files or something?
Processor: Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR3 PC 12800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
Graphics: 2x Radeon HD 3870
(10-15-2009, 02:29 PM)Infel Wrote: I second what Bositman says...
I ended up having to use an older 1GB usb stick, formatted to FAT32 in order to be able to dump my BIOS...

and to BobFred, don't you enable these commands through config files or something?

I'm using a 1GB SanDisk Cruser Micro from 2004-05 its formatted to FAT32. I use it to run all my other homebrew and have never had a problem. Any other ways i can better my chances of it working?

As for the config thing, i have no idea. The PS2 scene it really bad about having useable guides to anything.
hmmm, i don't know what to say...
i have a slim ps2 that uses freemcboot.
what i did was the following...
put the elf file for the usb version of the bios dumper onto the usb flash drive, put that into the ps2 and then moved the elf onto the memory card
i ran the elf from the memory card and it worked, the bios files were sitting there on my usb flash drive
Processor: Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR3 PC 12800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
Graphics: 2x Radeon HD 3870
(10-16-2009, 11:50 PM)Infel Wrote: hmmm, i don't know what to say...
i have a slim ps2 that uses freemcboot.
what i did was the following...
put the elf file for the usb version of the bios dumper onto the usb flash drive, put that into the ps2 and then moved the elf onto the memory card
i ran the elf from the memory card and it worked, the bios files were sitting there on my usb flash drive

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i figured it was better then me starting a new one. I decide once again to try and get my BIOS dumped. I tried all the methods above again, as well as launching via Xlink and ps2Link again no go. Over the network it tells me my version number and then apparently freezes (Again something simple like a progress bar or a blinking cursor would be helpful here...) If launched off USB or memory card it displays "waiting for USB drive to be ready" which means i assume that it doesn't recognize that my USB drive is there (which is funny since it is ON that USB drive) Each time i ran the ELF i let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before turning off the system. I also tried a few of my old thumb drives, THEY ARE FORMATTED TO FAT32.
So i have a few questions,
1. Is there any sort of visual feedback that i can expect once the dump starts?
2. Where does it try to dump if i launch over the network? the Xlink folder? the folder that the Ps2Dumper resides in? I would assume that later and I do get a file there but it is a 0mb .tmp file.
3. Does the dumper use internal USB drivers or rely on the launcher(for example uLE) to mount the USB drive? I would think that it has intern drivers as it cannot access drives that the launcher can. If it uses the launcher to prepare the USB perhaps my uLE is unmounting or clearing important data before it launches the dumper. Either way, it would be nice if there was a way to change or update what drivers the dumper used. (perhaps through an external IRX file?)
4. Why is the USB version of the dumper no longer available on the PCSX2 website? the link is dead.
1) I recall it printing some lines really fast, so you'll know when it works really
2) No idea, never used the network method
3) Yeah afaik it uses the internal USB drivers. Unfortunately, the developer who was working on this is long gone and the source of the tools has been lost, so not much we can do about that...
4) Mybb hates that attachment, it keeps disappearing Tongue After some hunting down, I found it and it's back up. Thanks for reporting!
(09-21-2010, 02:04 PM)Bositman Wrote: 1) I recall it printing some lines really fast, so you'll know when it works really
2) No idea, never used the network method
3) Yeah afaik it uses the internal USB drivers. Unfortunately, the developer who was working on this is long gone and the source of the tools has been lost, so not much we can do about that...
4) Mybb hates that attachment, it keeps disappearing Tongue After some hunting down, I found it and it's back up. Thanks for reporting!

Darn... i guess that means no chance of an update...I'll just have to wait around till i find a thumbdrive that will work with the dumpers internal driver. I can't even find any older dumper tools to try them but i assume they too would take issue with my thumbdrives. This is why open source is nice, lot harder to "lose" a project.
You can try the v1 dumper from the file I restored, dumpmass elf, see if that works for you