question : FXAA shader ?
i'm download pcsx2 svn 5777 and see check box fxaa shader in plugin gdsx, so what the difference between "fxaa shader" and "MSAA" in checkbox Enable HW Hacks

Sponsored links

They do different things. MSAA is more demanding than FXAA however.

Thread on the same question

My personal preference is MSAA
<REDACTED>
FXAA = Blurry mess, but not too demanding
MSAA = Nice, but demanding, and may cause glitches for PCSX2

MSAA all the way.

refraction and I were talking in a thread and he caused me to do some tests, IMO, 3x + MSAA looks better than 6x. I may have to make some comparison shots later.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Personally I don't think FXAA is a "blurry mess". It's a very subjective thing, but IMO scale x3 (or even x2) together with FXAA is both better than without AA and also almost without performance penalty (and yes, slightly blurrier than MSAA, but usually it's not too bad IMO).

Also, MSAA performance cost depends on the level of AA, e.g. MSAA 8x is way more costly than 2x, and, as mentioned, in PCSX2 it may also cause visual glitches.

IMO, generally, for most systems, it would be easier to find a combination of reasonable scaling together with FXAA, than to find something which looks better with MSAA. But if someone has a good enough GPU to support the relevant scaling and good level of MSAA, and for specific games it also doesn't have glitches, sure, use MSAA.

Bottom line, each should find the combination which works best for him/her. If and which AA to use - is just another option which PCSX2 offers.
(12-29-2013, 08:10 PM)avih Wrote: Personally I don't think FXAA is a "blurry mess". It's a very subjective thing, but IMO scale x3 (or even x2) together with FXAA is both better than without AA and also almost without performance penalty (and yes, slightly blurrier than MSAA, but usually it's not too bad IMO).

Also, MSAA performance cost depends on the level of AA, e.g. MSAA 8x is way more costly than 2x, and, as mentioned, in PCSX2 it may also cause visual glitches.

IMO, generally, for most systems, it would be easier to find a combination of reasonable scaling together with FXAA, than to find something which looks better with MSAA. But if someone has a good enough GPU to support the relevant scaling and good level of MSAA, and for specific games it also doesn't have glitches, sure, use MSAA.

Bottom line, each should find the combination which works best for him/her. If and which AA to use - is just another option which PCSX2 offers.

Yes, I agree. I meant to stick an "IMO" in my post somewhere. I've said it before - I personally REALLY dislike FXAA. I first saw it in DXHR for PC where my friend insisted on randomly turning on everything to max. So he had 1080p, 8x MSAA, FXAA. All at once. Ack.

If FXAA was my only choice, I'd rather have nothing at all. But to each his own.

HOWEVER. I do think FXAA has possibilities. A shader based AA solution is definitely a cool thing. I just don't like it as it is now.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
SMAA should be a bit better than FXAA, FWIW, but I never tried to apply a custom SMAA shader to PCSX2.
I was just reading about SMAA. Looks nice. There is a guy with a thing here to inject SMAA into stuff, but it doesn't seem to work with PCSX2, or else I'm doing it wrong:

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html
Yeah, IIRC I couldn't make it work either (v1.2 is the last one there and is pretty old). But maybe with SweetFX it could work, but I haven't tried.