Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
replace PC monitor with HDTV
My old single-core PC is used to stream netflix and watch DVDs.
Occasionally I use if for gaming. I would like to replace the old 19" CRT with a HDTV. Then I can also watch TV from the same location.

Can you offer specific buying advice or recommend features that will be important to hooking a TV up to a PC ? The TV size would be between 19 inch and 27 inch to fit both the room and my budget.

Dig

Sponsored links

emm by saying single core pc i assume you also have a very old gpu.if i am right and your gpu is really old than it maybe won't be able to connect in tv through hdmi/dvi or sth or even display anything because of the screen resolution.so i don't think you should this.please correct me if i am wrong.
You'll have to decide on a HDTV that works on a 1920*1080 resolution and that
supports the display connection options your graphic card offers.
Most likely that would be a DVI input but I'm not sure how common these are on TV's.

Other than that, there shouldn't be anything special to watch out for.
For your computer it'll just be another display.
A lot of HDTVs come with D-SUB. There are also DVI -> HDMI cables if he only has DVI out on his PC. Basically, just make sure the HDTV has the inputs you need.

What video card are you currently using?
Thank you for the replies.

The video card is an AGP 1650 pro which does have DVI and D-sub with a max resolution of 2560 x 1600 ( per the specs...) I have never tried higher than 1280 x 1024. For video playback at 1920 x 1080, I don't think the card would have a problem. As far as gaming though, it would probably only handle turn-based type of games...

Most HDTVs have a D-Sub input and HDMI but not DVI.

Dig
(11-03-2010, 06:35 PM)dig314 Wrote: Most HDTVs have a D-Sub input and HDMI but not DVI.

DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible anyway. Just so happens HDMI can also carry audio.
Yep.
There's adapters and cables that can connect from DVI-out to HDMI-in.
(11-03-2010, 06:35 PM)dig314 Wrote: Thank you for the replies.

The video card is an AGP 1650 pro which does have DVI and D-sub with a max resolution of 2560 x 1600 ( per the specs...) I have never tried higher than 1280 x 1024. For video playback at 1920 x 1080, I don't think the card would have a problem. As far as gaming though, it would probably only handle turn-based type of games...

Most HDTVs have a D-Sub input and HDMI but not DVI.

Dig

A GPU that old won't be able to offload any video processing, so 1080p video playback will rely on your CPU. Given that your motherboard only has AGP, I'm willing to bet your CPU isn't powerful enough to decode 1080p (assuming H.264) without the CoreAVC codec, and even then it might struggle.

Game performance at that resolution would mostly be determined by the amount of VRAM the card has, but as long as it has at least 128MB, old games and those with basic graphics should run fine.

For the best quality you should definitely go for a DVI-HDMI cable. Also make sure you disable any additional processing on that input in the TV settings to minimise input lag.
Specs in Profile