resolution question
2 things I was thinkign about, and how they impact performance/look

1: what is the normal "native" resolution of PS2 games?

and

2: If it was lowered below that would it look "ok" and is it possible that it will be faster?

Sponsored links

(03-16-2009, 07:25 PM)Saiki Wrote: 2 things I was thinkign about, and how they impact performance/look

and

2: If it was lowered below that would it look "ok" and is it possible that it will be faster?

Hey there.
I'll answer from my own experience with this issue.

1. The PS2's native resolution is 480i (equivalent to 240p) which is what all standard old TVs display. Very few games are enhanced to display 480p which looks better, but its not quite high Def (you need a HDTV or EDTV to display this format BTW).

Now, if you use the PS2's native resolution on the computer monitor using the emulator, I guarantee that the graphics are going to look horrible. Blurry, jaggy, just plain ugly. PCSX2's default resolution is 1040x1040 I believe.

I've been running games at double that; 2048x2048 (windowed), and I get no performance impact whatsoever. The games look much better though!
(03-16-2009, 08:53 PM)sandrodz Wrote:
(03-16-2009, 07:25 PM)Saiki Wrote: 2 things I was thinkign about, and how they impact performance/look

and

I've been running games at double that; 2048x2048 (windowed), and I get no performance impact whatsoever. The games look much better though!
yes, but what are you running CPU-wise, an i7?
I'm on a 2.2 dual, this is the reason I'm asking.
(03-16-2009, 08:56 PM)Saiki Wrote:
(03-16-2009, 08:53 PM)sandrodz Wrote: I've been running games at double that; 2048x2048 (windowed), and I get no performance impact whatsoever. The games look much better though!
yes, but what are you running CPU-wise, an i7?
I'm on a 2.2 dual, this is the reason I'm asking.
2 threads is the maximum number of threads PCSX2 uses so dual core isn't bad. The 2.2ghz is a fair bit slow but that effects things that aren't in the GS settings so much. Upping the res DOES impact the EE (cpu) from experience but the major factor in how high you can put your res up is actually your videocard (or GS%).

Quote:2 threads is the maximum number of threads PCSX2 uses so dual core isn't bad.

This is no longer true and you also answered a one and a half year old thread. Please check the dates before you post.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
(11-02-2010, 01:41 PM)skythra Wrote: 2 threads is the maximum number of threads PCSX2 uses so dual core isn't bad. The 2.2ghz is a fair bit slow but that effects things that aren't in the GS settings so much. Upping the res DOES impact the EE (cpu) from experience but the major factor in how high you can put your res up is actually your videocard (or GS%).

2 things, besides the fact this is a year old, your information is just wrong..

2.2 is enought for most things in my experience. and if you read any of my newer threads you'd clearly see I've been the one saying that, and helping with lower-end PCs to achieve speed and compatability from the GUI end. posting settings and other information that is valuable.
According to GS manual, PS2 support following resolutions: 256, 320, 384, 512 or 640 * 448 (NTSC) or 512 (PAL). Interlacing should be ignored, when you calculate "native" resolution.