savestate cross compatability
so I've been playing through the jak trilogy through pcsx2 and have just started jak 3 and was about to save to a new slot, but pressed f3 instead.................... and it reloaded one of my jak 2 savestates Blink i didn't think that was possible, there's more than one as well one of which is in the middle of a boss fight ( once you complete the fight the cutscene doesn't show, and you can't exit the area )
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-weird-error-message
I don't know if this is relevant but the savestates seem to all be from that area any one else experienced anything similar ?

Sponsored links

(10-07-2012, 08:06 PM)cockroachlurcher Wrote: so I've been playing through the jak trilogy through pcsx2 and have just started jak 3 and was about to save to a new slot, but pressed f3 instead.................... and it reloaded one of my jak 2 savestates Blink i didn't think that was possible,
It should not be possible, unless made so by some very peculiar bug.

Quote:there's more than one as well one of which is in the middle of a boss fight ( once you complete the fight the cutscene doesn't show, and you can't exit the area )
Exiting from an area in a game normally means that the new area info is loaded from disc/ISO, and in your case the running code (from the savestate) expects another disc/ISO than the one you started with and still have active. Hence it will read sectors with irrelevant info, most likely leading to freeze/crash of the emulation.

Quote:http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-weird-error-message
I don't know if this is relevant but the savestates seem to all be from that area
The content of the savestate doesn't really matter, as the fatal error lies in loading a savestate from the wrong game, regardless of contents.

Each savestate filename contains two substrings for game identification, each of which should be sufficient to guarantee definite identification.

One is Sony's PS2 disc release ID code, and the other is the same 32-bit CRC code which is also used to identify PNACH files (PCSX2 cheats and patches). For a combination of these codes to be identical for two different games should not be possible. So it is far more likely that some bug in the code handling the filename construction/checking was responsible. But more information would be needed to determine this.

One thing that would be useful is a screenshot showing a directory listing of the sstates folder, scrolled and sized such that the relevant filenames are all fully readable.

You could also back up your current sstates folder somewhere else, erase its current contents, and then play one of the two games to a point where you can make a savestate. And then go back to desktop and make a new screenshot showing the sstates folder contents.

Finally you repeat that procedure, starting with erasing contents of the sstates folder, then playing the other of the two games and making a savestate from it, after which you again go back to desktop to make a screenshot showing the sstates folder contents.

You should then make a new post here, with those screenshots attached to the post.

This way some developer can see exactly what savestate filenames PCSX2 generated for each of these cases, and may then be able to look for a potential bug in the routines that construct such savestate filenames either for saving or for loading.

Best regards: dlanor