seems simple
This is frustrating to search because I see thread after thread of users saying "I've got a slow framerate," then giving their machine specs, and the thread tying off - "yep, just not enough machine"

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd think I'm okay there -
Quad core i5 3.3ghz
Radeon HD 6950
32gb RAM
Ubuntu (precise)

Yet, I'm getting 30fps at best. CPU usage never goes above 40%, and appears fairly evenly distributed among cores. I've flipped through a lot of emulation config settings - on/off with speedhacks, up and down through the presets; trying Gsdx gives an error - this molasses-play is w/ the default libzzogl-0.4.0. I'd jump into trying more specific things next, but it doesn't seem that anything I've tried has even changed, let alone helped, the weird performance. Always the same eerie 30fps or less and light cpu usage.

Sound is at least in weird sync with the strange framerates.

This seems like it must be something very straightforward, but I really don't know where to look. Thanks for humoring.

Sponsored links

What game?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
You may need to update to latest Ubuntu. That being said, do you use 32 or 64bit? Which gpu driver, mesa or Catalyst? What version?
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(07-11-2014, 11:59 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: What game?

I like the FFs - tried X, XII, & XII-IZJS. There's no observable difference, and this 'slowness' occurs right from the PS2 boot screen, before (I kind of assume) any game data are loaded.

(07-11-2014, 12:49 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: You may need to update to latest Ubuntu. That being said, do you use 32 or 64bit? Which gpu driver, mesa or Catalyst? What version?

Dang, if so, I'll probably make that my excuse to tackle migrating to something like Arch. Ubuntu is taking some objectionable directions.

I'm on 32bit w/ fglrx 13.10.10

Thanks for mulling on it
(07-11-2014, 10:42 PM)growd Wrote: I like the FFs - tried X, XII, & XII-IZJS. There's no observable difference, and this 'slowness' occurs right from the PS2 boot screen, before (I kind of assume) any game data are loaded.

Dang, if so, I'll probably make that my excuse to tackle migrating to something like Arch. Ubuntu is taking some objectionable directions.

I'm on 32bit w/ fglrx 13.10.10

Thanks for mulling on it
upgrade to 64 bit
dont use arch linux because the only thing you can use on wine is like tetris for windows
Specifications:

AMD Sempron 3850 @ 1.3GHz
Zotac Geforce GT 640 2GB
4GB RAM
Kubuntu Linux 14.10 STS
It would be good to upgrade to 64-bit to play pcsx2 on linux??? Wow times have obviously changed...
You will get absolutely no performance improvement from running PCSX2 on 64 bit Linux or compiling it from 64 bit linux. The Arch AUR has a package to build PCSX2 from git which works very well. Compiling PCSX2 on 64 bit ubuntu/mint is a nightmare due to dependency conflicts (I can't get it to work). You may get some benefit from a newer compiler version. Plus if you run Arch then you can be part of the Arch Linux Master Race. Join us!
You can try MTVU and experiment with EE and VU speedhacks. Overclock if you are able too. But don't expect miracles with Catalyst. For some reason, Nvidia proprietary gpu runs waaaaay faster than Catalyst and much more compatible. I recently changed brands so I know. Plus, I use 32bit because of the compilation problems. I also recently used Arch but the Ubuntu-ish type of distros are a hell of a lot easier to work with, especially for drivers. But to each their own I suppose.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(07-12-2014, 12:17 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: You can try MTVU and experiment with EE and VU speedhacks. Overclock if you are able too. But don't expect miracles with Catalyst. For some reason, Nvidia proprietary gpu runs waaaaay faster than Catalyst and much more compatible. I recently changed brands so I know. Plus, I use 32bit because of the compilation problems. I also recently used Arch but the Ubuntu-ish type of distros are a hell of a lot easier to work with, especially for drivers. But to each their own I suppose.

Okay, bumping Catalyst to the top of the culprit list. Didn't want to update Ubuntu b/c I'd hoped to get away from it (which may just be impractical, and they've responded to complaints about ubuntuOne), but that whole issue was why I'd stuck w/ Pangolin. I think there's a newer Catalyst available to newer versions of Ubuntu, so there's hope there I suppose.

Do people have good times with the open source radeon drivers? I've not seen their development situation in literally a couple years, but it looked like they had slowed down.

Thanks for the [edit: finer point on where to take some] shots-in-the-settings too - they will see every permutation possible before I mire myself in safely upgrading.

Thanks DaTankAc, Blyss Sarania, Willkuer, and Urisma!

Simon, maybe that would be helpful, but it's a bit nonspecific, and it sure seems like people have a lot of issues compiling and configuring for 64bit.
(07-12-2014, 12:17 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: keeping my Radeon 7850 in the closet as a backup

Just noticed the last line of your sig...hehe, I feel like this is where I'll end up.