shadow of the colossus stuttering
If I were you I would save up for an Core i7 Sandy Bridge system. There's no point in upgrading an outdated LGA 775 socket. The only reason why I brought a Q9550 is because I didn't have enough to do a complete upgrade to a Sandy Bridge system... But now, I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge, it's 20-25% faster than Sandy Bridge =)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

i was thinking of gettin an i7 but theres really no performace increase between the core2quads and i7s. ddr3 ram isnt that much better then ddr2. expeccially wen it comes to the pcsx2 cuz the only thing that matters is clockspeeds (which is also true for most pc games). the only advantage to the i7s is it has more threads. i think the only game out there that benefits from this is farcry 2. the rest of the benchmarks ive seen comparing core2quads and i7s are the almost the same.
im gonna try ur speedhack settings and if it doesnt help i will jus hold off till i can get that ram. im gonna try devil may cry 1 i hope its not so performance demanding as the others ive tried lol. btw thanks for all your help tuanming
Core2Duo E8400 @3.9GHZ
Radeon 4890
4G DDR2 @869MHZ
Hi guys,

I'm trying to play SotC with speedhacks, but I still have a problem - it feels sluggish. I can get 100 fps or more with VU stealing to 2 (measured with Fraps), but the controls are as unresponsive as on a 15 fps game. It feels like it takes a second between pressing a button and the action taking place. (The animations are right speed though.)

Funny enough, I've beaten the first Colossus some time ago and I don't remember the controls being ass. It's only after I booted the game a few weeks later it feels so sluggish.

I've fiddled with the speedhack settings but there's no change. The only thing that helps a little bit is upping the PAL framerate higher than 50, but it's still not good.

Anything I can try to counter this? Thanks.

Rig - C2Q Q6600, 9800GT
your PC config is very good !
the e8400 can O.C over 4.0ghz(I o.c to 4.8 this CPU) , try to set a lower multi for the RAM and O.C to 4.0 ghz (memory overclocking does not increase perfomance)

Try to set the interpolation to 1-linear , in the initial D have a similar problem and this setting work for me

Whit my i3 540 @ stock the Shadow of the colossus runs fine !

Sorry for my english :3

I dono what you're talking about with 4ghz 2500k. My MOBILE i5 can handle that game lol it didn't lag at all.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
FYI, with an i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz (stock speed) and Ati HD5850 + 2x EE Cyclerate @ 3x Scaling the game runs flawlessly! So much better than the Playstation 2 (lol)

This video best describes how it works for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gCxvUo-dg

It's so silky smooth Biggrin
i have recently oc my cpu to 3.9ghz. its made a great improvement in all my games (pc and emu). but my game still stutters. so what i did was drop my VU cycle stealing to 1. and its way smoother. vu cycle stealing causes lots of stuttering, almost like it skips frames jus so it can play at full speed. when i disable vu cycle stealing my game runs smooth but i get only 30 fps. so im guessing u need a 4.2ghz+ to play this game without speed hacks. prob even more.

im also gonna try scaling instead of custom res. that might also fix the problem.
Core2Duo E8400 @3.9GHZ
Radeon 4890
4G DDR2 @869MHZ
i can comfirm that instead of using custom res (i used my full screen res which is 1280x960) if i use 2x scaling it drastically helps with the stuttering. with other games it would prob help to if your machine is low end. but especially for sotc using scaling instead of custom res helps alot.
Core2Duo E8400 @3.9GHZ
Radeon 4890
4G DDR2 @869MHZ
(04-29-2011, 01:24 AM)lexer98 Wrote: your PC config is very good !
the e8400 can O.C over 4.0ghz(I o.c to 4.8 this CPU) , try to set a lower multi for the RAM and O.C to 4.0 ghz (memory overclocking does not increase perfomance)

Try to set the interpolation to 1-linear , in the initial D have a similar problem and this setting work for me

Whit my i3 540 @ stock the Shadow of the colossus runs fine !

Sorry for my english :3

I have a P43 mobo so it limits my oc potential. the p43 chipset has a fsb wall at about 435 so 3.9ghz is the highest i can go Sad

im planning on upgrading to the new ivy bridge chips that are coming out.

Core2Duo E8400 @3.9GHZ
Radeon 4890
4G DDR2 @869MHZ
Hi there. I don't know if this will be of any use but I had the same issues yesterday with The Fast And The Furious.

It kept stuttering and the music was being dragged out. After many hours of messing around with it I switched the sound to Async and it now flies along. TF&F is a cracking looking game that was released just before the end of the PS2.