source tarball for pcsx2
(03-13-2013, 04:50 PM)CeilingCat Wrote: If, let's say, every three months a reasonably stable revision were posted to your official archive (https://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/downloads/list ?)...

That's a big if. Our milestones are betas and releases, which were historically released in (quite) longer intervals than 3 months, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Whatever comes in between is a stream of changes and many small regressions.

If you want a "hardcoded" schedule of every NN months, we can do that too, but you shouldn't expect stability from that. If, OTOH, you expect us to declare some stability level more frequently than betas and releases , we will probably not be able to meet that expectation.

FYI.

Sponsored links

(03-14-2013, 10:01 AM)gregory Wrote: Sorry I miss some word Tongue2 What I mean is: do you have the support of GPU proprietary driver or do you rely on only the opensource driver?
Oh, sorry. Yes, NetBSD can load binary blobs for things like wireless drivers, Ethernet drivers, and probably some other things. Perhaps graphics drivers too, but i've never done that and can't confirm from experience.
(03-14-2013, 12:22 PM)avih Wrote: Our milestones are betas and releases, which were historically released in (quite) longer intervals than 3 months, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Whatever comes in between is a stream of changes and many small regressions.

If you want a "hardcoded" schedule of every NN months, we can do that too, but you shouldn't expect stability from that. If, OTOH, you expect us to declare some stability level more frequently than betas and releases , we will probably not be able to meet that expectation.

FYI.
That's perfectly acceptable for pkgsrc-wip. Packages in pkgsrc-wip aren't considered stable anyway. It doesn't need to be hardcoded to every $X months - just whenever you feel a particular revision is reasonably stable or feel that the previous tarball is a bit stale and you feel like generating a new one for a particular revision. The more often it happens, the more testing and feedback we'll be able to provide. You can track pkgsrc-wip changes to pcsx2 here:

http://pkgsrc.se/wip/pcsx2

or on the SF.net repository:

http://pkgsrc-wip.cvs.sourceforge.net/vi...wip/pcsx2/
(03-14-2013, 01:36 PM)CeilingCat Wrote: That's perfectly acceptable for pkgsrc-wip. Packages in pkgsrc-wip aren't considered stable anyway.

Good to know.

(03-14-2013, 01:36 PM)CeilingCat Wrote: ... just whenever you feel a particular revision is reasonably stable or feel that the previous tarball is a bit stale and you feel like generating a new one for a particular revision.

Not sure we can promise that - it's very subjective and implies some extra burden which I'm not sure someone will take. Want to take that responsibility (or appoint someone for that) and ping us whenever you think a new tarball should be created (as long as it's at least 2 months apart, probably)?

If you can, then we can probably re-package whenever you think we should.
Hum, from my point of view, the biggest instabillity of PCSX2 comes from the linux side. I have a good enough, still not always perfect, view of the linux state so I think I can handle it. Besides, we miss so much linux testing, unlike windows we don't have a buildbot. I'm ok to do some trials package update with a soft limit of 3-6 months. Just remind me from time to time Wink

That said, what is the status of BSD? Are you able to compile PCSX2? Are you able to run PCSX2? For the compilation can you still use GCC? When you got somethings that is really working on BSD, you could deals with tarball upload Wink
(03-14-2013, 08:26 PM)gregory Wrote: Hum, from my point of view, the biggest instabillity of PCSX2 comes from the linux side. I have a good enough, still not always perfect, view of the linux state so I think I can handle it. Besides, we miss so much linux testing, unlike windows we don't have a buildbot. I'm ok to do some trials package update with a soft limit of 3-6 months. Just remind me from time to time Wink
If pcsx2 becomes stable enough to get imported into pkgsrc HEAD, then we have people who regularly bulk build packages on the Linux platform. That, coupled with all the other Linux packagers in this thread who were interested in packaging pcsx2 will definitely help you a lot in testing on Linux.

(03-14-2013, 08:26 PM)gregory Wrote: That said, what is the status of BSD? Are you able to compile PCSX2?
r5412 doesn't, but I'm on amd64, so it's not supposed to compile on this architecture anyway. Perhaps it does on i386.
(03-14-2013, 08:26 PM)gregory Wrote: Are you able to run PCSX2? For the compilation can you still use GCC? When you got somethings that is really working on BSD, you could deals with tarball upload Wink
The compiler is dependent on the platform. pkgsrc supports about 13 different compilers, including GCC. Do you think we could get an updated distfile? The one for r5412 is a bit dated and i'd be interested in testing a newer revision.