source tarball for pcsx2
(I was going to post this in the developer section but I don't seem to have permissions for it, so this is the next best place).

Hello,

I'm writing a package build script for pcsx2 on Slackware, to be submitted to the main 3rd-party submissions site. With Slackware packages the user generally builds them himself, and so to make this as accessible as possible to users (and to meet submission guidelines), I wondered if it would be possible to have a gzipped or bzipped source tarball put on the google code page so I can get a direct link? Right now the only source package I can find is a 7zip package (which will require the installation of an otherwise unnecessary program just for the user to open), and even to get to that you have to click a checkbox agreeing to the GPL.

So yeah, source.tar.gz/source.tar.bz2 on the google code page would be just fantastic Smile Or if such a thing exists somewhere and I'm somehow overlooking it, a link to that would be nice too.

Thanks!

edit: for stable, I forgot to mention

Sponsored links

Yes, a standard .tar.gz would be helpful for me too; I would like to package pcsx2 for OpenBSD.

A pkgsrc guy made the same request. Looks like we'll have to wait for the next release.
Do you guys just need an official download link of a .tar.gz/bz2 of the existing source 7z one? i.e. of the current 1.0 release? or a fixed link which would always point to the latest release? or a fixed link to the latest nightly source revision even if it's not an official release?

If it's only for official releases, which are not very frequent, then I believe it shouldn't be an issue to package the 1.0 source for you and provide a link for that, possibly even more than 1 link - a fixed one to the latest release and one per release (which, again, are quite far apart).

Otherwise, if you need a per-revision packaged source (a single fixed link? one per revision?), then if google code doesn't support current-source export link, which AFAIK it doesn't, then I guess someone would have to setup a script which runs daily, packages the source and uploads it to an accessible location.

Please define your requirements of such source distribution system (including licensing agreements, which are not only GPL 3 for PCSX2), and if we can help with that, we will.
This is also an issue for getting an official package into the Fedora rpmfusion repository. Gregory has posted the 1.0 package so it can be linked to in the forums, but really a tar.gz that can be linked to is what is required rather than a link to a file via the forum (the link is: http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=40101). Speaking for the Fedora package, the ideal tarball would be created with gregory's create_pcsx2_tarball_from_svn_repository.sh script in the debian_unstable_upstream folder of trunk. This strips out lots of the uneeded stuff that causes license issues with linux distributions - and indeed, this is the file that Gregory has posted in the link above - if that file could be put in a linkable location in its tar.gz form, this would do the trick nicely for me (or Fedora) Smile
(12-25-2012, 11:05 AM)avih Wrote: Do you guys just need an official download link of a .tar.gz/bz2 of the existing source 7z one? i.e. of the current 1.0 release?

Yes.

(12-25-2012, 11:05 AM)avih Wrote: If it's only for official releases, which are not very frequent, then I believe it shouldn't be an issue to package the 1.0 source for you and provide a link for that, possibly even more than 1 link - a fixed one to the latest release and one per release (which, again, are quite far apart).

That would be great.

(12-25-2012, 11:05 AM)avih Wrote: Please define your requirements of such source distribution system (including licensing agreements, which are not only GPL 3 for PCSX2), and if we can help with that, we will.

As long as licenses are 1) clearly marked in the source and 2) FOSS (no restrictions on distribution/modification etc) then it should be fine. But of course the simpler you can make this the better (if that means stripping out some parts that aren't 100% necessary that is probably the thing to do).

As Gumbo said, one important thing is that the URL contain the filename of the tarball (e.g., http://example.com/files/pcsx2-1.0.0.tar.gz). Forum attachment links aren't suitable for this because they use the HTTP Content-disposition header and instead have a URL like http://example.com/attachment.php?id=1234.
Q. Do you guys just need an official download link of a .tar.gz/bz2 of the existing source 7z one? i.e. of the current 1.0 release?

A. Yes.

Let's start with this then. Would that work for you? :
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/downloads...es.tar.bz2
(12-28-2012, 04:20 PM)avih Wrote: Q. Do you guys just need an official download link of a .tar.gz/bz2 of the existing source 7z one? i.e. of the current 1.0 release?

A. Yes.

Let's start with this then. Would that work for you? :
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/downloads...es.tar.bz2

This is precisely what I was hoping to get. Thank you!

I noticed there are no 7z source packages anymore, are the sources going to be released as a bz2 permanently now?
The 7z sources file is still hosted on pcsx2.net, I just added the bz2 package on google code.

As for "released as a bz2 permanently" - if you you're asking if we'll post bz2 source packages for future official releases, then the answer is that it's fine with us, and if we forget, just remind us. If you're asking if this bz2 file will stay online for good, then the answer is that yes, unless a good reason to remove it comes up, but right now I can't think of any such reason.
Avih, thanks for the attention on this subject. As the currently maintainer of PCSX2's Archlinux pkgs, I have similiar issue of the original poster.

But, testing locally, I was able to achieve a smaller size with XZ by running:
Code:
tar -cf - pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-sources | xz -9 -c - > pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-sources.tar.xz
See the comparison of each archive, using highest compression:

7zip - 11MB
bzip2 - 14MB
gzip - 18MB
xz - 10MB

So, how about providing a XZ archive instead of BZIP2, or maybe both?
Since I'm not too familiar with linux package maintenance, aren't the Archlinux packages hosted on a central location? if yes, then nothing prevents you from packaging it as xz and posing it to your repository, right? Otherwise, sure, we can host an xz package as well.