striped screen texture in nfsu2 and others
(02-21-2016, 12:32 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I'm an Nvidia user and I still don't use it just for the simple fact it's not usually a common renderer for things.
But is for PCSX2 because you get better results, and if you have Nvidia you are just robbing yourself of by far the best experience. The most common way of playing PS2 games is on a PS2. So with that reasoning you shouldn't use emulators either.

@Ryudo: I notice the difference between DX and OGL too, but I can still run most games on 3x or 4x times native with OGL at 100% emulation speed.

Sponsored links

I certainly don't wanna take over this thread either with this stuff but one thing I did notice about OGL with default settings and depth turned on at 3x native was a performance drop of about 5-15 FPS.

Versus DX11 at 3x native had a performance drop of only 3-5 FPS. I don't think I'm robbing myself of the best experience.
thanks for the opengl advice guys. ill play with it to see if i like it. but i have another issue which is more minor than the one in my origional post.  same game and congig as origional post with the addition of skipdraw 1. im getting a wierd overlay for the fog effects in nfsu2. its quite annoying. ive played with it a bit but i cant get it to go away. any ideas? pic posted below.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-21-2016, 08:25 PM)prpledoggxii Wrote: thanks for the opengl advice guys. ill play with it to see if i like it. but i have another issue which is more minor than the one in my origional post.  same game and congig as origional post with the addition of skipdraw 1. im getting a wierd overlay for the fog effects in nfsu2. its quite annoying. ive played with it a bit but i cant get it to go away. any ideas? pic posted below.
Set the skipdraw to 6. It removes the fog effects. Wink
(02-21-2016, 08:39 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Set the skipdraw to 6. It removes the fog effects. Wink

i did that now its blending all the light effects which eventually consumes the screen and it removed the background to the menus and hud Sad
(02-20-2016, 10:41 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I prefer DX myself. Even though OGL is supposed to be the recommended renderer for pcsx2 v1.4.0. The way I look at it is most PC games including GTA V use DX anyway which has excellent compatibility and performance so I try to keep it consistent. Personally I think they should just stick with DX in pcsx2.
The fact is that Dx isn't compatible with my system (and a lots of users actually). OpenGL wasn't intended to be available on Windows Wink

(02-21-2016, 07:29 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I certainly don't wanna take over this thread either with this stuff but one thing I did notice about OGL with default settings and depth turned on at 3x native was a performance drop of about 5-15 FPS.

Versus DX11 at 3x native had a performance drop of only 3-5 FPS. I don't think I'm robbing myself of the best experience.
Of course, DX removes most of the post-processing effect due to bad emulation of shadows, fog, depth of field effect etc... If you want to compare the speed, set CRC hack to minimum. 10 fps is nothing is you're already well above 60fps.

@prpledoggxii
Did you try the openGL renderer without skipdraw?

Quote:@Ryudo: I notice the difference between DX and OGL too, but I can still run most games on 3x or 4x times native with OGL at 100% emulation speed.
The issue is the slowness of the driver. Avoiding accurate blending on AMD could help (keep only the basic level and use latest git). If the game doesn't use too many draw call, you will get a good performance.
(02-22-2016, 12:40 PM)gregory Wrote: The fact is that Dx isn't compatible with my system (and a lots of users actually). OpenGL wasn't intended to be available on Windows Wink

If you don't mind me suggesting with the amount of work you've put into PCSX2 wouldn't it make more sense to develop OGL exclusively for linux users and have someone do the same with DX for windows users?

(02-22-2016, 12:40 PM)gregory Wrote: Of course, DX removes most of the post-processing effect due to bad emulation of shadows, fog, depth of field effect etc...

Under DX11 I notice slightly lighter shadows with no flicker. I wouldn't call that bad emulation at all. Under OGL shadows tend to be a slightly richer but also a little flickery at times.

Basically I just wanted to share my thoughts with you and let you know how much I personally appreciate all the hard work you've put into PCSX2. I also extend that comment to all those who contribute to PCSX2. Thank you.
(02-24-2016, 04:39 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: If you don't mind me suggesting with the amount of work you've put into PCSX2 wouldn't it make more sense to develop OGL exclusively for linux users and have someone do the same with DX for windows users?
You're welcome to step in as the DX renderer maintainer Smile  I developed OGL exclusively on linux for linux. But you can blame Nvidia/AMD/Intel that made openGL available on Windows.

Quote:Under DX11 I notice slightly lighter shadows with no flicker. I wouldn't call that bad emulation at all. Under OGL shadows tend to be a slightly richer but also a little flickery at times.
Often DX11 drop various draw calls. You can compare the SW with the HW renderer, if you don't trust me. OGL emulates more effect but it also creates "additional" issues if one draw call is wrong (likely a wrong depth buffer)
I would love the opportunity to step in as DX renderer maintainer. But even I have to be honest enough to say for as much as I know I don't know enough. Not to mention one of my biggest flaws is the fact that I'm a bit of a perfectionist which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this kind of work but it can be if it becomes all consuming. Knowing me I would probably get myself hung up on one thing until I got it absolutely right and I wouldn't wanna put myself through that each time something needed to be done.

As far as DX11 and OGL of course I trust you. What your saying makes sense.
(02-22-2016, 12:40 PM)gregory Wrote: The fact is that Dx isn't compatible with my system (and a lots of users actually). OpenGL wasn't intended to be available on Windows Wink

Of course, DX removes most of the post-processing effect due to bad emulation of shadows, fog, depth of field effect etc... If you want to compare the speed, set CRC hack to minimum. 10 fps is nothing is you're already well above 60fps.

@prpledoggxii
Did you try the openGL renderer without skipdraw?

The issue is the slowness of the driver. Avoiding accurate blending on AMD could help (keep only the basic level and use latest git). If the game doesn't use too many draw call, you will get a good performance.
i only tried it with nfsu2 but heres the differences for me...
*specs tested* (same as my origional post except the following)
x4 res upscale, x4 aa, x4 msaa

not much of a performance hit still runs at 99-100% most of the time, same as dx11. OGL is more crisp but cuases small frame stutter ever couple seconds while driving(rendering new frames). OGL also has wierd effects when it comes to lighting, shadows and particles. for example when driving and your headlights move from building to building it lights the entire buildings texture and when your light moves away from the building it immidiately goes back to its normal texture brightness which makes for some trippy driving at 200mph+. it does this for all objects besides ones the create there own light and are static. sadly i couldnt get the stripes to go away with OGL unless i used skipdraw 1, the same in DX11. i tried skripdraw 6 in both and it worked with niether dx11 or ogl. i tired hardware depth in ogl with skipdraw 0,1,6 seperately and it had no effect in all of them, it got the same results as before. so sadly ive decided dx11 will be my go to renderer unless i need to do some troubleshooting and it works better in another game.