the quad-core compatibility
You say that the pcsx2 won't benefit of the extra 2 cores but if a cpu what has quad-core architecture with more power processing like mine (Core i7 920) +/- 60GIGAFLOPS would benefit with this processing power for emulate more efficiently the PS2. I think so. My specs are the following ones:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
GRAPHIC CARD: MSI ATI Radeon HD 4870 MD1G 1GB
RAM: KINGSTON 6GB PC3-14900-1866MHz Triple
MAINBOARD: ASUS P6T DELUXE OC PALM
OPERATE SYSTEM: Windows XP SP3

Sponsored links

You're greatly over-simplifying a complicated issue. Quad-cores could probably provide some benefit, but it would require some major re-working of complicated code to do it.

The devs are pretty smart, I'm sure it's occurred to them as it did to you. If it were easy or simple, it would have been done by now Tongue
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Nobody said it wouldn't benefit from quad-core. What they said was that recoding the emulator from the ground up and starting the entire project over from scratch would be a painful operation, particularly since it currently works very well utilizing two cores. Oh, and works on quad core systems, just not benefitting from the extra two.

Not to mention the fact that the entire recode would likely only be a 25-30% performance increase due to the overhead needed to make the emulator work properly on 4 cores.

Having two more cores is not automatically like doubling your processing power, your applications actually have to be coded to use the extra power. Plus, (As far as I know) it's all running on the same CPU die, so the operations have to be synched properly, hence the overhead it takes to make it work.

Seriously, why does this always pop up (and not just in relation to PCSX)? How many applications do you actually know of that run on or take advantage of more than 2 cores, even modern games today?

Seriously, if this were another forum I'd be posting a facepalm ascii right about now.
AMD Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit