Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trying to reach 4.5 GHz ...
Thumbs Up 
i recently bought Contac 29 and TG-2 as a thermal paste

for who don't know i own i3 550 and P55-USB3L mobo

and i was reading,studying and understanding my CPU architecture ( that is why i haven't been on the forum much often Ninja )

and it is time for some serious OCing Happy

i reached 4 GHz easily @ 1.25 ( stock is 1.23 )
i felt like OCing a Sandy Bridge Tongue

temps were fine ~55 max ( tj i still have ~30 safe temp )
every thing was fine Rolleyes

now i said if i can reach 4 GHz @ 1.25 i can reach 4.5 GHz without too much voltage Cool

alot of Advanced Overclockers said Clarkdale CPUs can't reach a clock that high ( including Rezard ) Sad

now i started on 188x24 and increased the voltage to 1.28 and a blue
screen when booting Excl
and disabled HT Wink

increased to 1.31 booted to windows but extremely slow Excl
and of course Prime 95 failed

kept increasing till 1.39 Ohmy Blink Unsure Excl
and i ( finally ) saw some hope ,windows boot up normally

[Image: 20832320.png]

as you can see temps were like 70~ ( still safe )

Prime tested till 10 minutes and a FATAL ERROR happened Glare
it was really really not a common error for me :

Final result was 8ACA9C78, expected C9C79F07

It was the result of 1024K test

so the question is ...

should i risk my CPU life and crossover 1.4 or stay and work it out with 1.39 or give it up because it is basically impossible Wacko

and what do you think can i reach stable Blush

Sponsored links

I think 1.4v is considered safe for Intel.. Keep your PC running non-stop for a few days and if it doesn't crash you're good to go! Personally I don't like to increase the vcore so much just for a few hundred MHz unless they're crucial. I can do 4ghz at just 1.24v but gotta push it all the way to 1.34 for 4.4ghz (i7 920)
Bloomfield architecture is different from Clarkdale , more powerful and more overclocking efficient
but have about double the TDP and cores Wink

which make it harder to compare between them
Congrats on reaching 4.5, but 1.4 is way to high for me :3

do you have an aftermarket cooler? I would cry if my temps went past 60, haha. but then again i have a q6600
Safe temperature? Seems rather high to me... I'm with Synce on this one, I can easily push my CPU to 3.8ghz if I pump an extra .15 volts into it (at least in 3-cores, been using 4 cores lately and with MTVU I haven't needed the higher rates) but the trade off just isn't there.
[Image: 2748844.png]
If it's hard to get 4.5Ghz stable at < 1.4V, simply go with 4.4Ghz.
1.4V is already degrading the cpu too quickly, especially at 70°C operating temperature.
(09-20-2011, 11:27 PM)diggitydopes Wrote: Congrats on reaching 4.5, but 1.4 is way to high for me :3

do you have an aftermarket cooler? I would cry if my temps went past 60, haha. but then again i have a q6600

ofcourse Smile

it is Contac 29 read the first sentence of the same post ( which is about the same as hyper 212+ ) which is enough for a 32 nm dual core Smile

(09-21-2011, 12:01 PM)Koji Wrote: Safe temperature? Seems rather high to me... I'm with Synce on this one, I can easily push my CPU to 3.8ghz if I pump an extra .15 volts into it (at least in 3-cores, been using 4 cores lately and with MTVU I haven't needed the higher rates) but the trade off just isn't there.

(09-21-2011, 12:39 PM)rama Wrote: If it's hard to get 4.5Ghz stable at < 1.4V, simply go with 4.4Ghz.
1.4V is already degrading the cpu too quickly, especially at 70°C operating temperature.

if the Tcase is 72 and my temp is 70~ ( Tjunction ) and i am under recommendation about 10C so yeah i mean safe like safe

but i am kind of surprised of such high heat
a benchmark on AMD Phenom II X3 720 Rev C2 :

[Image: b_600_424_0_0___images_stories_articles_...011-61.jpg]

@1.5 51 degree !!!!

and i am getting 70 with another upgradeable 120mm fan and a core less not to mention TDP ! Huh

but my room temperature is like 35~ in this time of the summer
and the bench is in winter
looking forward for winter ( 20~ )

do you think my temps dangerous ? Unsure

Temperature readouts done by different people, using different boards and methods, can't be directly compared.
I can tell you that 1.40V and 4.5Ghz generate enough heat and electron migration that air cooling is barely cutting it.

Now, this simply means that the expected cpu life time will be lower, so in the end it's really your choice.
(Instead of lasting 10 years, it may just get to 5 or 6 this way.)
(09-21-2011, 03:58 PM)rama Wrote: Temperature readouts done by different people, using different boards and methods, can't be directly compared.
I can tell you that 1.40V and 4.5Ghz generate enough heat and electron migration that air cooling is barely cutting it.

Now, this simply means that the expected cpu life time will be lower, so in the end it's really your choice.
(Instead of lasting 10 years, it may just get to 5 or 6 this way.)

there is no way i am keeping my CPU for 5 years i will just wait for 2013 and then hopefully Ivy will be shipped to Syria with reasonable Prices Smile

( guessing that some old mobos will support Ivy although stupid UEFI )
On intel site it says T-Case_Max temp.is 72.6°C. That is center of heatspreader on top of the CPU. But,the programs we use to read the CPU temp read the die temp and are related to T-Junction_Max (TjMax) which is in the center of the die.

So I would sugest keeping it below 72.6 °C . CPU maybe won't last for a year with that temperature.