Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turn based rpg's wanted!
so i have played my fair share of turnbased rpg's and i was wondering if i missed out on a good game i havent heard of.

the platforms i own are:

ds (oldskool one with the option for gba games so you can suggest those too!)
psp
ps2/ps1
ps3
pc
wii/gamecube (at moms place tho but nothing i cant get it away from her xD)

il make a list what i liked and what i didnt liked so that should make the search alot easier Tongue if i mention series that mean i played em all (most of em anyway)

the good:

dragonquest 8/9/monster joker DS series
star ocean till the end of time (not exactly turn-based but i liked it alot Tongue)
golden sun series
pokemon series
final fantasy series (played all of em, dislike 13-2 tho. but not so bad i put it in the bad list, spinn-offs included (crisis core, tactics etc)
disgaea series
dark cloud 2 (again not turn based but i thought might as well put it in here in case somebody recomend me it)
grandia III
valkyrie profile series
tales series (see above comments)
persona 3&4
fire emblem series
digimon 1/3
thousand arms
suikoden 2
legend of dragoon
legend of legaia 1&2
xenogears
wild arm 3
valkeria chronicles
white knight chronicles
shadow hearts series

the bad:

grandia 1&2
xenosaga series (people are going to kill me for this xD)
persona 1&2
growlancer
white knight chronicles 2
star ocean 1,2 and 4

to do list:

xenoblade
skies of arcadia
arc rise fantasia

probably have forgotten alot of titles, il see em comming through this thread along the way i think, but these are so off the top of my head.

hope to find that ''hidden gem'' of turn based rpg's Smile
------------------------
------------------------
trolling mode: ACTIVE!

Sponsored links

try Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (PSP) it's a great game, but WAY over-looked
Xenoblade is certainly anything but turn-based, but it's by far the most refreshing JRPG in forever, and I'd highly recommend you play it.

Ar tonelico is pretty much straight up turn-based, with the second one providing a very different take on the concept, but they're great games for the music alone. Also has many segments that play out more like a visual novel, so be prepared for lots of reading inbetween any action. Although fans of Xenogears probably don't mind doing that Wink

If you enjoyed Star Ocean's combat system, you might like Radiata Stories. It's kind of a simplified version of that, with a lot more focus on character interaction and the overall gameworld than on battle, compared to Star Ocean anyhow.

The whole Shadow Hearts series pretty much fit this, and I'd definitely recommend Koudelka, Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. From the New World differs greatly in setting, cast and overall atmosphere, so people are rather split about this one.

SaGa titles are turn-based, but not everyone's cup of tea. Often very non-linear and unfocused, though I wouldn't call that a bad thing. Best one to try out would probably be the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa.

Lunar series if you can still enjoy a classic adventure story.

Just from your list looks to me like you're looking more for JRPGs in general and not just turn-based ones, though.
On the PS2 you're missing the Shadow Hearts series.
(The original Grandia is _gold_. What a sacrilege Tongue2 )

Oh hey, and maybe Wizardry! Tongue2
(09-30-2012, 11:20 PM)rama Wrote: (The original Grandia is _gold_. What a sacrilege Tongue2 )
Indeed it is! Although to be fair, I think for a lot of people it tends to be that due to nostalgia more than anything - I'm not sure I'd enjoy it quite as much 15 years after the fact if I hadn't played it back then.

That said, I've been having a blast playing it again with the Redux patch. The great combat system was always a bit wasted thanks to the terribly low difficulty, in all entries in the series really. This fixes that. Oh yeah, it fixes that alright ...
forgot to add the shadowheart series, played em, liked em Tongue
radiata stories should be on my to do list.

ah, Ar tonelico... something just didnt feel apealing to me :C could try it again ofcourse
speaking of ar tonelico...

BEFORE WATCHING THIS VID, HAVE A PERFERTED MIND SET! its makes it that much more better xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoODv8LVib8

genius.

lunar silverstar story wasnt my cup of tea, for some reason i couldnt get into it after 3 hours of play i putted it away and it was never to be seen.

jewel summoner was meh at best, it started of pretty good, but the further you came th eless interesting it became, shame tho i really wanted to like it Tongue
------------------------
------------------------
I loved grandia 2 Sad
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(10-01-2012, 12:02 AM)refraction Wrote: I loved grandia 2 Sad

must be nostalgia kicking in Tongue

thought id get more hate about not liking the xenosaga series xD
seems grandia is the more populair rpg (and from my time too! D: )
------------------------
------------------------
Can't speak for everyone, but Xenosaga seems to have been mainly accepted as a "what could have been", if, you know, it wasn't screwed with by a whole host of factors. If Xenogears was a flawed masterpiece, Xenosaga leans more toward the flawed side than the masterpiece side. I still liked it, but it's definitely not what it could have been under better circumstances.
It's also a lot more complex and serious in tone, and at least in my experience, discussions around it reflect that.

Grandia on the other hand are kind of silly, fun, over-the-top games. You tend to like that or you don't, there's just less shades of grey there.
That said, I find it slightly amusing you liked Grandia 3, but disliked 1 and 2. 3 is by far the most soulless in the series - axing the 2 most interesting characters so early on? That kinda killed it Tongue2

(10-01-2012, 12:02 AM)refraction Wrote: I loved grandia 2 Sad
There's a hardtype patch available for it too btw, for the PC version anyway, although I haven't really gotten around to playing that yet, so unsure how balanced it is.
(10-01-2012, 12:19 AM)Eloris Wrote: Grandia on the other hand are kind of silly, fun, over-the-top games. You tend to like that or you don't, there's just less shades of grey there.
That said, I find it slightly amusing you liked Grandia 3, but disliked 1 and 2. 3 is by far the most soulless in the series - axing the 2 most interesting characters so early on? That kinda killed it Tongue2

normally i am not the type for graphics whore or anything, but grandia 1 and 2 didnt speak to me graphically plus the voice acting..OOOOHHH THE VOICE ACTING! its terrible lol xD
------------------------
------------------------