upgrading iix4 630 pc to i5 2500
Yeah forget the DDR3 cards, they made this for the noobs, because its cheaper, but its crap Tongue2
A gtx650 with gddr5 is fine too, yeah.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert

Sponsored links

(03-20-2015, 01:45 PM)coolps2 Wrote: Is the gtx 650 2gb ddr3 good? I see it going for less then 50 dollars.
if your PSU was a prebuilt one then, I will definitely recommend to get a new PSU since, PSU's not enough to handle the load might cause harm for your system.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
^^^ darn it. Guess i will have to tolerate my current gpu longer. So coming back to op, is i5 2500 upgrade over 640 worth it for $100?? current pc 6gb and 1tb hd, i5 pc have 4gb and 160gb. I will move some memory and hd to i5 pc if i get it..
(03-20-2015, 02:04 PM)ssakash Wrote: if your PSU was a prebuilt one then, I will definitely recommend to get a new PSU since, PSU's not enough to handle the load might cause harm for your system.

No harm if gpu only use power from motherboard. And i think 300 watt is enough for gtx 650 and gtx 750.
Yeah don't worry a gtx650 and 750 will be good on a 300w psu, your whole computer will take 200w at full charge Tongue2
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
If it's an OEM PSU it will have lower efficiency so, take my word as a pre-advice.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Lower efficiency doesnt mean it supports less than 200w, it means it gets more heat (so more noise) and consume more than 200w at the plug, a gold psu will be cooler and consume less than a non certified.
The problem is not the efficiency, its that the obscure oem psu are made of ***** capacitors and all, so they could take less than whats written or the could be fragile when the full wattage is reached and break faster.
There is non certified psu that are fine, its just less efficient if they dont reach 80+, but thats not a problem if it works and its solid. It can be a matter of cost reduction, maybe its expensive to certify a product, etc.
My thought, non certified are cheap so you don't care if it lasts 4 or 5 years instead of 6 years on a certified, even expensive psu can break anyway.
Hmmm good thing i didnt buy that $50 gtx 650. I was searching for its review and i found on google that it could be a fake card.. Here is the link for card and 2nd link where ppl saying it is fake. Notice how that card doesnt have maf. name...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GK107-GeForce-GT...1e9adee07f
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2402307
that's why, I suggest you get a GT-730 (consumes very low power) and it also is similar to GT-640 and quite powerful.
- Refraction
@ ssakash i am afraid that gt730 wont exactly be a big upgrade over my current gt 240...