Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrading my processor to intel i5 2500k help
Hey guys i am planning to upgrade my Intel core 2 quad q8200 2.33Ghz processor to Intel i5 2500k. What i want to know is that will this upgrade result in better frames in games like Skyrim ,Dragon age origins, Dragon age 2 , Modern Warfare 3 .

The graphics card i have is a Nvidia gt 220 1GB .

I get the following frames at high settings in the following games:
Skyrim : 50-60 frames
Dragon age 2 : 28-35 frames
Dragon age origins : 28-35

So will only a processor result in more frames ?

Sponsored links

Most modern games are mostly gpu dependent so I doubt you will see alot of speed increase in pc games, though a faster cpu will help with emulators.
Intel Core I7 930@3.5GHz(TB, HT), 6GB DDR3@1600MHz, Geforce 970 G1
(04-01-2012, 02:03 PM)hyakki Wrote: Most modern games are mostly gpu dependent so I doubt you will see alot of speed increase in pc games, though a faster cpu will help with emulators.

1+ if you are short on cash buy i3 2100 and 6770 and then you will get some decent frame rate
With native-PC games,
the i3-2100 and HD 6770 would definitely do better than an i5-2500K and GT 220.

Actually-- I'd be tempted to say just worry about a better GPU at that point.
Especially if you could just OC your Q8200 a bit.
i agree with all these guys, the GT 220 is awful, for the same price as the cpu upgrade you could get a GTX 560Ti which would be a nice card. I know from first hand you can play Skyrim on a GTX 570 with all settings on max with a 1680x1050 res, AAx8 and AFx16 and all that crap, HD texture packs and still pull off a smooth framerate.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Thanks guys for the fast replies i guess i will go with an i5 2500k since i also want to use it for Pcsx2 ( pcsx2 is very demanding on CPU side) and see if i can sell my graphics card and get a better one. You guys are the best.
i have i3 550 ( @ 4GHz which is about the same as i3 2100 BTW ) and i never had a speed problem with PCSX2 Smile

you no longer want the best thing out there to use PCSX2 with joy

actually for general use a new GPU will be the best ( and believe me upgrading just for PCSX2 is nonsense Sad ) !
(04-02-2012, 12:35 PM)abdo123 Wrote: i have i3 550 ( @ 4GHz which is about the same as i3 2100 BTW ) and i never had a speed problem with PCSX2 Smile

you no longer want the best thing out there to use PCSX2 with joy

actually for general use a new GPU will be the best ( and believe me upgrading just for PCSX2 is nonsense Sad ) !
Is not!! next rig i build gonna be centered on PCSX2!!! as most newer games i prefer on my consoles, only gaming i do on PC is for emulators to equal out crap graphics PS2 and Wii have on my 1080p display+^_^+

Signature purposefully left blank.
No seriously, you should never build your pc just around the emulator, you should build it for what is good for general use. If you PC game most, build for that. But even PCSX2 needs a reasonable GPU to run fast.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
of course, if you do build it around the emulator, it should be pretty damn quick elsewhere as well (in the case of a cpu atleast)