Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrading pc, what should i get?
i tried playing phantom brave using pcsx2 and it did not run well. my comp is just old and its time to upgrade. i would like to upgrade my comp so i can run pcsx2 at good fps. (as cheap as possible) i need new gfx, cpu, ram, mobo

CPU:
from what ive read you need a intel cpu because they have SSSE3 which runs good with pcsx2. pcsx2 does not support quad core so a dual core is fine. ive been looking at the core 2 duos, maybe an E series wolfdale? id like to keep cpu under $200 if possible.

MOBO:
around $90

GFX:
from what i know about emulators, they run in software mode. do i need the best gfx card? or i can i use something older. im looking at the hd3870, you can pick one up for $50 used. does ati or nvidia make a difference? seems liek cpu is more important

RAM:
dependent on XP or vista. do i need to have 4gb running vista or 2gb running xp? does dx9/10 matter?

Controller:
id like to get a usb controller. from my experience, logitech is a good brand. what is a good controller that works well? ive heard a lot of bad things about usb controllers not working well

im n00b at this ps2 stuff, just trying to get some help. ty

Sponsored links

This section is for plugins. Refer to the chatterbox for your question.
(04-25-2009, 06:32 PM)anddrew Wrote: i tried playing phantom brave using pcsx2 and it did not run well. my comp is just old and its time to upgrade. i would like to upgrade my comp so i can run pcsx2 at good fps. (as cheap as possible) i need new gfx, cpu, ram, mobo

CPU:
from what ive read you need a intel cpu because they have SSSE3 which runs good with pcsx2. pcsx2 does not support quad core so a dual core is fine. ive been looking at the core 2 duos, maybe an E series wolfdale? id like to keep cpu under $200 if possible.

MOBO:
around $90

GFX:
from what i know about emulators, they run in software mode. do i need the best gfx card? or i can i use something older. im looking at the hd3870, you can pick one up for $50 used. does ati or nvidia make a difference? seems liek cpu is more important

RAM:
dependent on XP or vista. do i need to have 4gb running vista or 2gb running xp? does dx9/10 matter?

Controller:
id like to get a usb controller. from my experience, logitech is a good brand. what is a good controller that works well? ive heard a lot of bad things about usb controllers not working well

im n00b at this ps2 stuff, just trying to get some help. ty

cpu: E8400
Mobo: P5KPL-CM (expandable to 4gb)
RAM: 1x2GB DDR2
GFX: Geforce 8600 or better Ati 3000 series or better
PSU: Antec BP-500U

that should all be able to get fetched for under 400 (the gfx card and cpu being the majority of cost)

i used that same board for a few months before upgrading to my current rig. its solid and capable of overclocking on a low level.

id reuse whatever parts you can but if its simply too old replace it Smile
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
so the core 2 duo wolfdale are ok.
seems like XP is good, dont need to go vista

i got an AMD rig that is 3 years old now, so i need new mobo. i still have 2gb ddr2 800 ram, might be able to salvage it

is 12gb ram run super good on your pc? lol
(04-25-2009, 06:47 PM)anddrew Wrote: so the core 2 duo wolfdale are ok.
seems like XP is good, dont need to go vista

i got an AMD rig that is 3 years old now, so i need new mobo. i still have 2gb ddr2 800 ram, might be able to salvage it

is 12gb ram run super good on your pc? lol

In terms of PCSX2 Vista is better, as DX10 really adds up to the performance.

Core2duo are certainly ok, but you can get core2quad for about the same money and they'll do better in all your casual games Smile
DirectX 10 will run the GSDx plugin much better. So, I definitely would recommend Vista. It's better than XP all around now, anyway. Plus, XP won't be supported by MS for much longer.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(04-25-2009, 07:18 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: DirectX 10 will run the GSDx plugin much better. So, I definitely would recommend Vista. It's better than XP all around now, anyway. Plus, XP won't be supported by MS for much longer.

agree with everything you say. i do think MS has announced they will support XP til 2018 tho. Smile

they've stopped, or will soon, selling OEM copies of XP and will only provide the Retail copies. I'm not sure when they will stop selling the retail versions, but those are the only copies that had support from MS anyways; so not much has changed except OEM copies have gone up in price/demand. sorry to go a little off topic but was just spreading information hehe Smile

back on topic: if you do go vista be sure to get 64-bit version. the more ram you have the more vista will use it, so it wouldnt hurt at all but grabbing the additional ram is optional (2gb should be fine).
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
Logitecs Cordless RumblePad 2 works perfect with pcsx2. And is a great joypad too for all other games. But if i were you i would not only upgrade for pcsx2 or do you only play ps2 games on your pc? If that's so maybe buying a ps2 is much cheaper Wink think about it.
(04-26-2009, 10:25 AM)PeterFreimann Wrote: Logitecs Cordless RumblePad 2 works perfect with pcsx2. And is a great joypad too for all other games. But if i were you i would not only upgrade for pcsx2 or do you only play ps2 games on your pc? If that's so maybe buying a ps2 is much cheaper Wink think about it.

I'd have to remind you that you can't use PCSX2 legally without owning a PS2 in the first place,since the BIOS file must come from a PS2 console you own...and since we don't support any kind of piracy here you shouldn't make such comments.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-25-2009, 07:51 PM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote:
(04-25-2009, 07:18 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: DirectX 10 will run the GSDx plugin much better. So, I definitely would recommend Vista. It's better than XP all around now, anyway. Plus, XP won't be supported by MS for much longer.

agree with everything you say. i do think MS has announced they will support XP til 2018 tho. Smile

they've stopped, or will soon, selling OEM copies of XP and will only provide the Retail copies. I'm not sure when they will stop selling the retail versions, but those are the only copies that had support from MS anyways; so not much has changed except OEM copies have gone up in price/demand. sorry to go a little off topic but was just spreading information hehe Smile

back on topic: if you do go vista be sure to get 64-bit version. the more ram you have the more vista will use it, so it wouldnt hurt at all but grabbing the additional ram is optional (2gb should be fine).

2018? Daaaaamn. That's way longer than they supported 98.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.