what is the best way to update the version of pcsx2?
title, i like to stay updated with the latest version of the emu and update once a month but the first time i went to do it, i copied over all my games to thebes's new folder (took forever) but i forgotten to do so with my saves so i went and deleted them all by accident. anyways  wash wondering if there is a simpler way to click an for drag the new version in or what all do i need to do in preparation

Sponsored links

Why not just overwrite your old version?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Maybe I didn't understand something but the portable version for example is updated by just replacing the old plugins and pcsx2 with the new ones.
The installer can be updated almost the same way(installing it on the same location)

The only problem in both cases is that from time to time with new releases,old save states stop working on newer version of pcsx2 so it's best to save your progress to the memory cards(they are pcsx2 version independent...you can use card from pcsx2 0.9.2 on the latest beta)
(03-12-2017, 03:31 PM)vsub Wrote: Maybe I didn't understand something but the portable version for example is updated by just replacing the old plugins and pcsx2 with the new ones.
The installer can be updated almost the same way(installing it on the same location)

The only problem in both cases is that from time to time with new releases,old save states stop working on newer version of pcsx2 so it's best to save your progress to the memory cards(they are pcsx2 version independent...you can use card from pcsx2 0.9.2 on the latest beta)

so you're saying i can download the new version of the emu (the nightly ones) and just install them to the same directory as my current version? i thought that would get rid of my saves and my games folder. and you're saying i should just back up my mem cards?
(03-12-2017, 03:54 PM)cioudsix Wrote: so you're saying i can download the new version of the emu (the nightly ones) and just install them to the same directory as my current version?

Yes

(03-12-2017, 03:54 PM)cioudsix Wrote: i thought that would get rid of my saves and my games folder.

Nope, it won't get rid of anything aside from the old version of PCSX2 (although I'd personally put the games in a separate folder anyway).

(03-12-2017, 03:54 PM)cioudsix Wrote: and you're saying i should just back up my mem cards?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a backup, but you shouldn't need to when bringing in a new version.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Dont keep your memory card dir in same directory as pcsx2 for example I have my memory card and ripped iso in a seperate folder "D:My Documents\Emulation\pcsx2" <pcsx2 files> "D:My Documents\Emulation\PS2" < ripped isos and memory card, etc>

Dont think this can be done with Save states though, but I also never use them

I just delete the contents of pcsx2 folder and extract the new build in to the folder, reconfig pcsx2 and have it point to all the correct folders for everything else
(03-12-2017, 03:31 PM)refraction Wrote: Why not just overwrite your old version?
Do not do this. You'll likely run into one issue or another eventually.

You can set most folders (like the memory card and bios location) to a central location that doesn't need to be copied over between versions.