which is faster? SSSE3,SSE4.1 or AVX?
hello, I've read in somewhere (dun remember where but was in this forum) that AVX is faster than the others, but on my experience i've noticed that the GSDX SSSE3 runs faster than AVX or the others (6-10 FPS more), BTW i got an Intel core i7 2670QM, but i read that for core i7 AVX is recommended,cause SSSE3 gives crashes on it.

So i'd like to know which one is officially fastest and most stable on a i7 and why if possible, i'm curious about it, thanks

Sponsored links

AVX mainly boosts speed on GSdx software mode. SSE4 should be always faster than SSSE3 though...maybe you tried a game that uses the SSSE3 instruction optimizations a lot and thus you saw a big speed difference
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-23-2013, 08:26 PM)Bositman Wrote: AVX mainly boosts speed on GSdx software mode. SSE4 should be always faster than SSSE3 though...maybe you tried a game that uses the SSSE3 instruction optimizations a lot and thus you saw a big speed difference

the only ps2 game i own is FFX-2 (found it in a neighbor's trash bin LOL, still working) and its the only game i got to test it, i saw that even in software mode SSSE3 is faster than AVX, is this game an exception?

thanks
Yeah probably Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-23-2013, 10:10 PM)Nelson88 Wrote: the only ps2 game i own is FFX-2 (found it in a neighbor's trash bin LOL, still working) and its the only game i got to test it, i saw that even in software mode SSSE3 is faster than AVX, is this game an exception?

thanks

The point is the instructions used on SSE3 can be used in the SSE4.1 plugin and then there is nothing preventing the AVX plugin to use all the previous sets also, it's not SSE4 replaces SSE3, it supplements it as AVX supplements SSE4 and so on.

The inverse is not true obviously, if trying to use SSE4 plugin on a SSE2 or SSE3 only CPU the new instructions (from SSE4 which do not exist in SSE3) will make no sense and the emulator would probably crash.

On the other side, the new instructions allow for more specific effects (probably demanding ones) and so the plugin may feel slower.

PS: The same applies to DirectX also. The goal is not necessarily more speed but more effects and possibilities, what can be very demanding sometimes.

Addendum: and more possibilities to glitches and emulation errors also Smile

Edit: One example where the most advanced plugin could bring a speed gain would be the case a certain function was implemented by a series of previous instructions in the previous set and then replaced by one only or fewer instructions on the newer, but that's not always the case and probably not the only difference between the plugins.

Edited: to change "functions" for "instructions" where apply.
Imagination is where we are truly real
So interesting, thank you Laugh
Hello.

AVX was running faster for me, but I was using ubuntu and now, in Windows 10, I can get a plugin with AVX (1, not 2).

Do you know where I could get an AVX plugin for Windows?

Many thanks in advice.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go