why are games running slow on my pc?
so from what i can tell from responses... my cpu is the problem (which still doesn't make sense to me but i'll play along for this next question)

if i spend 100 bucks to upgrade to a 6400+ , i should expect to run these games smoothly like other people with 6000, and 6400+ , even though i can't with my 5600.. correct ?

Sponsored links

Actually, FF12's slowness is a problem with ATI graphic cards and GSDX.
That combination can, apparently, massively speed down games like FF12.
To see if this is indeed the problem, try ZeroGS or GSDX's software renderer.
"why are games running slow on my pc?"
Because PCSX2 isn't 100% yet, that's why you need an even more powerful CPU :P

I haven't went back to AMD since I had a 4400+ X2, so I can't really help...But the 6400+ would help the performance of course >.<
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
yeh i'm definitely not saying my 5600 is great.. i know it's slightly outdated and left in the dust by the intel core2duos

all i'm saying is i find it hard to believe that a 5600 runs at half speed, while people with 6000's are getting them playable
and it's even weirder since my total cpu usage is only about 80% when it's happening

the difference between the two processors isn't that much, and i would feel foolish spending 80 bucks to upgrade 200 mhz (although i could convince myself to upgrade to the 6400 if i was convinced it would solve my problem and make the games playable
(02-28-2009, 07:23 PM)Nneeve Wrote: Actually, FF12's slowness is a problem with ATI graphic cards and GSDX.
That combination can, apparently, massively speed down games like FF12.
To see if this is indeed the problem, try ZeroGS or GSDX's software renderer.

will try, although i'm pretty sure i've tried all the plugins and the same thing happened with all of them
The trouble with ZeroGS is that it's just slow all around, so while FFXII isn't bottlenecked on the ATI through ZeroGS as much as it is on Gsdx, it's still pretty slow (but it'll be consistently slow, instead of having fast and then slow parts Wink )

Most of Pcsx2 is optimized with Cores in mind, which is perhaps a small part of your performance problem. But even a cunningly-optimized recompiler for AMDs would be at best 6-8% faster than the current implementation, which would still be well below the point of running smoothly, in your case.

But you have an AMD, and that will be your #1 bottleneck for games like FFXII. Upgrading your CPU would likely make no difference at all, in fact. Sad
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Well, since gabest only focus for Nvidia grapich card, i hope someone like twin gabest can focus for ATI grapich card. But in my experient with ATI card for FFXII was not same like you. Is that because i have HD3870? and you have Hd4670? I dont have a clue man.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(02-28-2009, 08:29 PM)Air Wrote: The trouble with ZeroGS is that it's just slow all around, so while FFXII isn't bottlenecked on the ATI through ZeroGS as much as it is on Gsdx, it's still pretty slow (but it'll be consistently slow, instead of having fast and then slow parts Wink )

Most of Pcsx2 is optimized with Cores in mind, which is perhaps a small part of your performance problem. But even a cunningly-optimized recompiler for AMDs would be at best 6-8% faster than the current implementation, which would still be well below the point of running smoothly, in your case.

But you have an AMD, and that will be your #1 bottleneck for games like FFXII. Upgrading your CPU would likely make no difference at all, in fact. Sad

so how come other people with 6000 and 6400 are running final fantasy x , x2, and 12 smoothly? while my 5600 constantly is in extreme slow motion and unplayable?
Quote:so how come other people with 6000 and 6400 are running final fantasy x , x2, and 12 smoothly?

he meant
Quote: But you have an ATI, and that will be your #1 bottleneck for games like FFXII. Upgrading your CPU would likely make no difference at all, in fact. Sad
Did you already try with latest pcsx2 snapshot? Since i dont see what version pcsx2 you was using?
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(02-28-2009, 09:09 PM)Nneeve Wrote:
Quote:so how come other people with 6000 and 6400 are running final fantasy x , x2, and 12 smoothly?

he meant
Quote: But you have an ATI, and that will be your #1 bottleneck for games like FFXII. Upgrading your CPU would likely make no difference at all, in fact. Sad

ohh.. well that stinks.. wish i would have known before i bought it or i woulda went for a 9600gt /9800gt... just bought it kind of recently too .. works great as a budget card for newer pc games on default settings.. was hoping it would allow me to play pcsx2 also Sad
(02-28-2009, 09:13 PM)Register Wrote: Did you already try with latest pcsx2 snapshot? Since i dont see what version pcsx2 you was using?

i've tried with the latest official release, and the latest playground version...the playground version would speed up fmv's to full speed in many of the cases.. but would still leave actual gameplay completely unplayable

i'm unsure what pcsx2 snapshot is or refers to