will the team keep making the emulator more efficient
now that the 1.0 release is out and the team feel that they have done all that can be asked of them, will they keep making the emulator more efficient and easier to run on low power systems?

Sponsored links

when the emu's perfect and runs all games accurately, I suppose it'll be the next step.
should be within 20-30 years Laugh
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
could you ever see something like an athlon 64 3400+ running the emulator properly. i only ask because with technology moving forward will the team see a need to make it easier for older and outdated systems to run.
It´s not a priority.
Main goal is accuracy
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I was wondering about something.
If the devs have all the information about how everything work(like having the "source of the PS2"),will it still be impossible to make it run full speed on low end pcs.

There are still things done by like..."lets change that to that and see what happens"
(11-30-2013, 10:17 PM)jesalvein Wrote: It´s not a priority.
Main goal is accuracy

Seems like they haven't kicked any balls to make that goal in the last 5-6 months. Personally, I've given up on PCSX2 ever getting better than it is now. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but there's a lot of places where it can be improved. Hopefully new players enter the scene and and we can get a competitor emulator. I mean, just look at a year-a year and a half ago over in PSP emulator land, all you had was PCSP and JPCSP. Both were pretty terrible. Now look at what you've got, PPSSPP, which is amazing and constantly improves every day.

The PS2 emulation scene isn't as dire as the PSP emulation scene was (because for comparison's sake, PCSX2 was/is MUCH better than PCSP/JPCSP) but if PPSSPP keeps improving who knows, maybe PS2 emulation will have to look up to PSP emulation for advice/inspiration. So, that's what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for the PPSSPP of the PS2 scene. Sadly, I'm probably going to be waiting a while.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.
(11-30-2013, 10:56 PM)Tyestor Wrote: Seems like they haven't kicked any balls to make that goal in the last 5-6 months. Personally, I've given up on PCSX2 ever getting better than it is now. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but there's a lot of places where it can be improved. Hopefully new players enter the scene and and we can get a competitor emulator.

I mean, just look at a year-a year and a half ago over in PSP emulator land, all your had was PCSP and JPCSP. Both were pretty terrible. Now look at what you've got, PPSSPP, which is amazing and constantly improves every day. The PS2 emulation scene isn't as dire as the PSP emulation scene was but if PPSSPP keeps improving who knows, maybe PS2 emulation will have to look up to PSP emulation for advice.

That's what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for the PPSSPP of the PS2 scene. Sadly, I'm probably going to be waiting a while.

i couldn't agree more the ppsspp project has been coming on in leaps and bounds, they are constantly improving compatibility and efficiency (especially on android). the last update of pcsx2 however is supposedly atleast 10% faster than any other so mabye the devs aren't as idle as we think.
You guys do understand the difference in complexity between a PS2 and a PSP right?? Just saying, I also agree the advancements on PPSSPP are quite astronomical as of lately, but a PS2 AFAIK is a more complex systems with more synchronization needed between its multiple Processing Units... I don't think the developers slack off, I think what is left to fix is quite complex...
(12-01-2013, 12:22 AM)pablocrossa Wrote: You guys do understand the difference in complexity between a PS2 and a PSP right?? Just saying, I also agree the advancements on PPSSPP are quite astronomical as of lately, but a PS2 AFAIK is a more complex systems with more synchronization needed between its multiple Processing Units... I don't think the developers slack off, I think what is left to fix is quite complex...

PPSSPP has a huge number of commits every day. PCSX2 has only 10 in the last months, and most of those are small fixes.

The truth is that the PCSX2 devs are far less active than the PPSSPP devs. Maybe they have real lives or something... but anyway for PCSX2 to really "take off" again, we really need some fresh devs with a lot of time on their hands.

I have been looking through the PCSX2 source lately, and there are LOTS of optimizations in there. I have especially been reading the GSDX source and it seems coded very well and efficiently.

I don't think the system requirements for PCSX2 are ever gonna drop dramatically enough to run on some of the hardware mentioned here. I agree that the best thing that could happen to the PS2 emulation scene is for a new emulator to appear.

A new emulator stands a good chance of really exceeding PCSX2. PCSX2 is a huge project where a lot of very talented people braved the murky waters of PS2 hardware to make the emulator what it is today. A new emulator wouldn't have to figure a lot of stuff out, because PCSX2 has already shown how to do it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
To fix a things like mipmapping GSdx would need an entire rewrite. At this point getting more accuracy is goin to require a major overhaul, as for everyone saying that there should be a competing emulator, there aren't a whole lot of people that understand the ps2 like the devs. I really don't think the accuracy will increase much more.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]