..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Fluctuating frame rates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm trying to play Suikoden 3, and I'm having frame rate troubles. Originally, it was running about 20-30 FPS. After activating x3 cycle rate and checking Disable Effects Processing under SPU2-X, my FPS seemed to have gone up to sit at a comfortable ~60 FPS. Which was fine, despite the graphical choppiness of the game.

But about 10 minutes in, I'm noticing that my FPS seems to like to fluctuate wildly between 35-60 FPS, which is increasingly frustrating and irritating.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.80 GHz
3g RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4670
Vista 32-bit OS

I'm using PCSX2 0.9.6, with no extra plugins. Is there something I can do to fix this FPS problem?
...it seems that game is CPU demanding, so your 2.8GHz is maybe little to slow to keep game on 60fps...

Cheers...
Show us your settings so we can try to help, however take in count sometimes games will just behave like that specially when using speedhacks.
Ok, i THINK i got all the config screens you need to see. But if there are others, just let me know...

[attachment=21258][attachment=21259][attachment=21261][attachment=21260]

Also, I was thinking if maybe i overclocked my bus, it'd help with the frame rate, but I've never done anything like that before, and I don't want to run the risk of blowing up my computer.
try our latest beta
http://pcsx2.net/downloads.php?p=publicbeta

and play around with the speed hacks to see if you can find a 'playable' setting for you.
i took a stab at the beta and played around with it a bit. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just limited by my CPU. I noticed that spots in the game with less going on, graphically, sat comfortably around 60 FPS. But as soon as I started running in front of more graphically intense backgrounds, my FPS would drop into the 40-50 range. This is with every speed hack on the program turned on. Without any speed hacks on, I'm peaking at about 45 FPS.

Kinda sucks, really. I could overclock my CPU to try to eek out some more frames, but I don't have the money to replace a processor if I end up blowing it up.
Yep, that game is one of the slowest currently. It probably does a weird idle loop thats very hard on your cpu.
I managed to play through Suikoden 3 earlier this summer on my 2 ghz core 2 duo with nothing more than a minor slowdown or graphical glitch here and there. There is one point in the game where I had to play without VU cycle stealing as it caused the game to hang in a spot. I think it is probably the easiest of the 3 numbered Suikoden games to run.
Wrong, at least part 5 runs twice as fast.
VU cycle steal causes suikoden 3 to slow down, even at the lowest setting.
(Having a hack cause slowdowns goes way too far, as you've noticed with that hang)