..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New graphics card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a new graphics card, and I'd like to be able to use pcsx2 on my computer. Currently my computer is too slow. My current graphics card is a Radeon X1650 Pro. The new one I'm gonna buy will be a 9800GT or a 250GTS.

Other specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60 GHz
2 GB RAM (I could buy more RAM too if that would make the emulator run faster)
Vista 32-bits

So which video card should I buy? And will I be able to play games like Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories and Final Fantasy X on my computer with a perfect framerate (without overclocking)?

Thanks. Smile
If there is little price difference between the two, there's no reason why you shouldn't go for the 250 GTS, since it's a re-badged 9800GTX+ basically. However, your CPU could benefit from a bit of an overclock if you don't intend on upgrading it.
in my opinion you would have to upgrade both CPU and GPU if you want to have enjoyable speeds in pcsx2, i presume you have am2 socket in mainboard so you would have to also buy new one too to support new CPUs ( minimum am2+ if you want other AMD ). If you replace only one ( cpu or gpu ) then you wont notice any speed changes.

also you dont need more ram to emulate, PCSX2 doesnt use it that much.

boogerthe2nd
OP CPU is a gigantic bottleneck, if he buys one of the cards you suggested he wont see any performence increse at all because of his slow CPU.
i would prefer the gts250 for you 9800nearly=gts250
Thanks for the help guys, so I need to upgrade my CPU too otherwise I won't see any difference with a new graphics card? And what kind of CPU is good enough?
i would say any intel E8xxx for perfect speed in all games, but if you lack cash then i think Phenom II x2 with frequencies above 3ghz, its a little slower than intel tho.
I have the same CPU, so unless Vista is really chewing up the CPU the games he wants to play will run fine with speedhacks. A new graphics card will help, especially if he wants to up the internal res (the 250GTS is definitely the way to go btw) but really all he has to do is use speedhacks or just overclock a bit. No point buying a new CPU and mobo unless he wants to play games that are actually hard on the CPU.
depends how do you understand "fine", i had 5600+ @ 3100mhz and it wasnt even close to "fine" even with speedhacks. Also dont tell him to buy powerfull GPUs if his CPU will bottleneck it like hell, with that CPU he wont even have 50% of performence that those GPU's offer.
Nataq, you're not clearing anything up, just saying "you're wrong, if he doesn't do such and such everything is fail".
Why is his CPU such a problem? Is it because Vista, is it because of certain games, or are you saying it's simply a weak processor? Like I said, I have the same processor and can get full speeds in the games he wants to play so unless you explain, I can't agree with you.
its because processor and gpu arent independant, they both depend on themselves, which means if you have slow CPU and fast GPU, then your CPU will bottleneck your GPU, which means your GPU would work slower than it should. I dont know how to explain it more clearly.

Also i fail to belive that you have constant 100% speed in those games.
Pages: 1 2 3