..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: CPU Bottleneck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have tried running the Final Fantasy 12 (XII) using the Hardware DX9 rendering, and what i see is that I am getting around 80% of the FPS, and 99-100% of the cpu usage.

When I run FF-X I get around 60-70 CPU usage and 100% of FPS (ie, running full speed emulation).

It turns out FF12 is more CPU intensive.

The main question is: Is my CPU really a limiting factor here? I have expected an i7 to be enough to run the emulator full speed, but anticipated that my GPU could be a bottleneck. But it turns out that the CPU is a bottleneck. Is it just me or really it is the case. People who have a better graphics card than me, please comment on your situation. Does better graphics card help improve the situation? What about DX10? DX11?

Running the latest beta (1888) with the latest DX libraries.

System: i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz , 6GB 1600mhz DDR3, Geforce 7800GT, Windows 7 64bit
That graphic card is weak get a 8800GT or a GTX260/275 and use hardware DX10 Renderer. Your CPU should be enough.
Are you referring to the CPU usage on the title bar of the PCSX2 window? Or are you referring to CPU usage from Task Manager.

If it's the former (most likely), then you are in fact limited by your GPU. It actually measures GPU utilization rather than CPU usage contrary to the name. If it's the latter (which I doubt), then it would seem that you have other issues, such as background programs etc. since an i7 @ 3.2Ghz definitely should be enough.

I'm banking on it being the former case, since it would make sense that you are limited by your 7800GT. Upgrading to a DX10 capable card (high-end 8 or 9 series Nvidia card, GT 200 series Nvidia card, or ATI 48xx or upcoming 58xx cards) should boost performance since you can run in DX10 mode.

For now, you could stick with Native resolution to gain some FPS.
no i7 cant be bottleneck for pcsx2, that usage is not cpu but your GPU, get 9600gt and your problems ends
(10-12-2009, 01:29 PM)andutrache Wrote: [ -> ]That graphic card is weak get a 8800GT or a GTX260/275 and use hardware DX10 Renderer. Your CPU should be enough.

Do you get full frame rate with your GF 260? Have you tried FF12? Thanks for the earlier reply, but more in depth reply would help.
(10-12-2009, 01:34 PM)Elwin Wrote: [ -> ]no i7 cant be bottleneck for pcsx2, that usage is not cpu but your GPU, get 9600gt and your problems ends

Thanks. This explains it.
pcsx2 is not much gpu dependedant .. it just need 9600gt or similiar to not be botteneck like in your case
With an E8300 @ 3.6Ghz and an 8800GT, I get full speed so far, though in some of the cutscenes it drops slightly to between 47-50 sometimes (which is still full or near-full speed).
(10-12-2009, 01:34 PM)boogerthe2nd Wrote: [ -> ]...

Yes, I was refering to the title bar CPU usage, which turns out is the GPU usage. Thank you (and others) for the swift and detailed replies.
I run all my games perfectly on my GTX260 sadly i don't have FFXII yet, but i'm sure it would run nicely.
You have a 7800GT with an i7???

*sobs uncontrollably*
Pages: 1 2