..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: opencl will pcsx2 benefit from it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Laugh well dolphin has started a graphics plugin for it and just thinking about what they said in the forums about it crossed my mind what if the pcsx2 team utilize it aswell
so just as the title sez will PCSX2 benefit from using it or is it just a DX11 wannabee
The Dolphin emulator isn't(and won't, really) seeing a lot of speed benefits from OpenCL. From what I've read following their SVNs, it's pretty much only intended to help load textures a little faster, and doesn't really change anything in the core code.

As Jake said earlier, it's just another little novelty that doesn't really do much for emulation.

Oh yeah, OpenCL is also not a new plugin, it's just new code to work with the existing plugins. They're um, they're changing a LOT about their video plugins over there at the Dolphin team.
Yeah we could use OpenCL to do texture swizzling a little faster, in theory. But I'd rather focus on implementing a better texture cache in front of the PS2's GIF unit, which would remove the need to do nearly as much swizzling in the first place.
just askin if gsdx would improve aven a tiny bit using it since nothing major happened in that plugin since gabest flew the coup
Probably not, as the things that OpenCL would be used for would not affect anything in the GSDx code necessary for a speedup.