..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: DX9 D3D SW threads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was curious if you have a Dual core cpu, how many sw threads should you be able to use for the best results? I've seen some guys say to use 6 if you got a quad core i7, but i have a Intel E7300 @ 3.27 GHz & 4GB of RAM, im just curious how many software threads i should use using GSDX 0.1.15?
Generally 2 gsdx threads is the best option. PCSX2's core emulation is on a thread of its own, so even when GSdx is set to 1 software thread it still uses most of your dual core processing power. But since most games are 'GS-limited' in software mode (meaning the GS runs slower than the other components) it's usually a win to give the GS an extra SW thread, which does work while the PCSX2 core thread waits on the GS to catch up.

The i7's are HT-enabled (8 threads on 4 cores), so that's why they run more than 3 gsdx threads with any success.
AH! okay thanks air
I was wandering if the emulator is in fullspeed with a 4 cores processor in SW mode ? I have only 2 cores so I can't test. Logically, with a quad core, 2 cores are used normally like a dual core, and 2 core are used to emulate the GPU right ?
Not exactly. At this moment, in dual core 1 core is used for PCSX2 core and one for the GS. With the GSdx software renderer you can split the 1 thread used by the GS to more threads. So you still have 1 thread for core and you can set X threads for the GS software renderer.
Still, the speed you get in games vastly depends on the Ghz your processor is clocked at and on what functions the game uses (easy to emulate or not)
yeah i set my SW threads to 2 on both dx9 and dx10 sw modes and noticed a big slow down, so i just stick with 1 for now
OK, actually I have a Dual Core at 4.22 ghz, so I don't really need more Tongue2 It's just that generally software emulation is more stable and with less glitches (I don't know with PCSX2, but with Dolphin, the software plugin is far more perfect than the hardware plugins), so I tought that a quad core could help emulate a gpu at fullspeed with the 2 additionnal cores for the GS ...
Forgive me for being a nub here. But how many threads does it use in hardware mode. I notice you can't change the number of threads. I don't know about alot of the inner workings of threads and if GFX cards use threads, etc.
just your cores -1
(12-18-2009, 02:28 PM)InfelPira Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive me for being a nub here. But how many threads does it use in hardware mode. I notice you can't change the number of threads.

bositman Wrote:Not exactly. At this moment, in dual core 1 core is used for PCSX2 core and one for the GS.