..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [Feature request] Apply speedhacks in realtime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Happy new year everyone! ^_^.

I've been closely following PCSX2's development by the SVN route and I must say it's -way- greater than the current beta. Keep up the great work! ^^.

This afternoon while trying to make DMC3 work 60fps I thought about something: What about changing speedhacks options in realtime with some hotkeys? I remember I was able to archieve some good HQ+Speed configs in ePSXe with its OSD menu, taking note of it and then applying it to the game's config afterwards.

Also, the speed improvement with the various options was even more noticeable because it was in realtime and you could see which option made the game slow down, or speed it up, whereas in PCSX2 it's pretty hard to notice the speed impact with the various options when you have to stop for a minute or two tweaking other options... it becomes tiresome in the long run.

I assume it wouldn't be too hard to create some hotkeys to cycle between cyclerates, VU skipping, toggle IOP hacks, etc. and apply them immediately, unless that'd require a GS restart (which I don't think so), no?

Anyways I'd like to know if this is possible, maybe get an answer from a dev would help. I have some C++ knowledge so if it's possible but nobody wants to do it, I might give it a shot...

Thanks in advance for any reply ^^!.
You can already switch speedhacks by suspending the emulator and changing the options for it, hotkeys for that are definitely not necessary specially since they can actually break your games.
Well, I don't care if hotkeys break the game because I don't use the keyboard to play Laugh. Fine, add an option to enable/disable hotkeys and everybody's happy.

No really, suspending the emulator to change speedhack options isn't as effective as doing it in realtime because the chances to notice a speedup or slowdown are either in a very significative point in the game, sound delay/speedup or using the titlebar which doesn't help because sometimes it says it's 59 FPS and the game is running at like 30. Just had it happen in FFX on my way to Zanarkand.

Also, it's annoying to hit ESC, menu -> options -> change speedhack option -> click OK -> emulator -> resume. "Omg the game's slower wtf?!" *repeat*... not to mention the speedhacks don't work as they should in a general kind of way. Some games like the EOP Sync hack, others get slower with it enabled, so it's usually trial-and-error to try to get it working as intended... and trial-and-error stuff is really annoying to do if you don't have a way to do it quickly, specially if you're trying to get a benefit out of it.

IMO, if the gain is lower than the amount of work to do it, something's wrong. At least, in GUI terms.
In the wxGUI you can change them without hitting ESC while the game is running, I guess that should satisfy you. Don't think anyone is willing to waste coding time on hotkeys and such when there are so much more important things to do
(01-18-2010, 01:01 AM)DARKGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's annoying to hit ESC, menu -> options -> change speedhack option -> click OK -> emulator -> resume. "Omg the game's slower wtf?!" *repeat*...

You're not supposed to be changing them much anyway, find ones that work for your game (if you even need them) and play with them to the end (or until they break your game and need you to change them :P)

You have to understand you're not supposed to be using speedhacks, optimal condition would be no speedhacks at all because they change the way the emulation goes and would just introduce bugs/crashes later on. Sure the speedhacks are useful for slower machines but if you need to be changing them all the time to be able to play you're doing something wrong :P (and you don't have a slow machine really so I don't see why you need to be changing speedhacks all the time really >_>)
(01-18-2010, 01:11 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]In the wxGUI you can change them without hitting ESC while the game is running, I guess that should satisfy you. Don't think anyone is willing to waste coding time on hotkeys and such when there are so much more important things to do

Oh, do they apply in realtime? Ohmy, well I guess that'll do for the time being Tongue thanks, I didn't know that!

(01-18-2010, 01:55 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2010, 01:01 AM)DARKGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's annoying to hit ESC, menu -> options -> change speedhack option -> click OK -> emulator -> resume. "Omg the game's slower wtf?!" *repeat*...

You're not supposed to be changing them much anyway, find ones that work for your game (if you even need them) and play with them to the end (or until they break your game and need you to change them Tongue)

You have to understand you're not supposed to be using speedhacks, optimal condition would be no speedhacks at all because they change the way the emulation goes and would just introduce bugs/crashes later on. Sure the speedhacks are useful for slower machines but if you need to be changing them all the time to be able to play you're doing something wrong Tongue (and you don't have a slow machine really so I don't see why you need to be changing speedhacks all the time really >_>)

Well duh, speedhacks aren't -the- way, but they surely help sometimes. So far I haven't had to use speedhacks in FFX until now, but it could be my version, since I'm all on SVN and using the latest GSDX which I've noticed is -far- slower compared to the one in the beta package.

Still, yeah, playing without speedhacks is the idea, but sometimes you've got to enable them until the game runs fast enough, like Shadow of the Collosus or God of War :/