..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: ION 2 + PCSX2 = Yes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there, I am impressed by the progress PCSX2 has made over the past few years but it's not time to ditch my phat PS2 just yet! Anyway wanted to ask about the forthcoming Ion 2 platform from Nvidia. Will a CULV netbook with Ion 2 discrete graphics be enough for PS2 emulation?
Ask your crystal ball, it'll give you as accurate readings as we could give Tongue2
i dont think it would be enough. ION2 will be like low-budget on-board GPU.
And CPU would be Atom or something with similar performance.
(02-10-2010, 06:26 AM)tohdom Wrote: [ -> ]i dont think it would be enough. ION2 will be like low-budget on-board GPU.
And CPU would be Atom or something with similar performance.

I beg to differ, CULVs are dual cores that trump the Atoms. As for ION2 I think it'll be enough for rudimentary 3D emulation. Heck I can run some games at close to full-speed on a GMA3100. Perhaps an educated guess based on PCMarks or some similar benchmarking standard would suffice.
Nah doesn't work like that (benchmarks barely ever help determine how good will everything work), I'm afraid you'll have to try it yourself or wait 'til someone else tries it as rama says we could not give any accurate estimate just like that.
when speaking ION, we are speaking netbooks and when speaking netbooks we are speaking a certain size (10/12") and certain power consumption or battery capacity.
ATOM is the only processor family which can hold a performance interest for such a low TDP (2.5w),
ION is just an nvidia GPU boost.

benchmark wise (several) ATOM is similar to PIII clocked at 1.2GHZ,
so my question is since we knwo that pcsx2 is first of all cpu dependent,
how far a 9400g (or even a 9600gt) could boost such a platform to run PCSX2.

here even if FFX is known to be amongst the fastest still unplayable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz06dYzV-U
(02-09-2010, 08:41 PM)Pulstar Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there, I am impressed by the progress PCSX2 has made over the past few years but it's not time to ditch my phat PS2 just yet! Anyway wanted to ask about the forthcoming Ion 2 platform from Nvidia. Will a CULV netbook with Ion 2 discrete graphics be enough for PS2 emulation?

Pal you would barely get over 20fps with a culv