..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Does a better graphics card mean higher resolution?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering whether I should update my graphics card.
Got a 2.66ghz Core2 Duo (e4400 OC) that runs all my games at full speed (or near enough), but I can't seem to get them in higher resolution without a big FPS dip. Rogue Galaxy is the worst - I can't run it any higher than "native."

I'm on a 512mb HD2600 ATM, and I'm just wondering if upgrading to something like an 8800gt or 4850 will let me run all my games in 1536x1536 or something like that.

Or would a new CPU be a better idea?
That graphic card is quite old. Upgrading it would probably increase your speed on some games and let you run at higher resolution aswell. If you want good resolution I would not recommend anything lower than 8800gt, its the same card I have and I can increase resolution in all my games, some more than others but I play nothing on native unless the increased resolution causes some kind of bug..
(03-08-2010, 04:09 AM)GamerGeek Wrote: [ -> ]That graphic card is quite old. Upgrading it would probably increase your speed on some games and let you run at higher resolution aswell. If you want good resolution I would not recommend anything lower than 8800gt, its the same card I have and I can increase resolution in all my games, some more than others but I play nothing on native unless the increased resolution causes some kind of bug..

Speed isn't really a problem in any of my games, it's the dodgy resolution. With an 8800gt, what kind of resolution could you get in Final Fantasy X while keeping a fairly stable 60fps, just as a benchmark. I can only get 960x960 with mine. Sad

EDIT: And would a 1gb card give better results than a 512mb? I know for most things it doesn't matter that much, but I want to run it at pretty high resolutions.
(03-08-2010, 04:15 AM)Esposch Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2010, 04:09 AM)GamerGeek Wrote: [ -> ]That graphic card is quite old. Upgrading it would probably increase your speed on some games and let you run at higher resolution aswell. If you want good resolution I would not recommend anything lower than 8800gt, its the same card I have and I can increase resolution in all my games, some more than others but I play nothing on native unless the increased resolution causes some kind of bug..

Speed isn't really a problem in any of my games, it's the dodgy resolution. With an 8800gt, what kind of resolution could you get in Final Fantasy X while keeping a fairly stable 60fps, just as a benchmark. I can only get 960x960 with mine. Sad

EDIT: And would a 1gb card give better results than a 512mb? I know for most things it doesn't matter that much, but I want to run it at pretty high resolutions.

I used to have an 8800gt with 512mb, and graphics resolution was never a problem. I'm pretty sure that if you're cpu can handle FFX at fullspeed, then with an 8800gt you should be able to run it 1680x1050 and above without any problems. As for graphics memory, 512 should be fine for PCSX2, and on an 8800gt more than that wouldn't make much difference.
(03-08-2010, 05:44 AM)yohonny101 Wrote: [ -> ]I used to have an 8800gt with 512mb, and graphics resolution was never a problem. I'm pretty sure that if you're cpu can handle FFX at fullspeed, then with an 8800gt you should be able to run it 1680x1050 and above without any problems. As for graphics memory, 512 should be fine for PCSX2, and on an 8800gt more than that wouldn't make much difference.

Awesome!
And I might be getting a g92 512mb 8800GTS, which is even more powerful (15-20%) than an 8800gt Laugh
Some dude on OCAU said he'd consider parting with it for AU$50. Laugh