..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New Laptop, Same Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one of *those* questions:

Just ordered the Envy 14 from HP with the following:

Intel Core i5-450M Dual Core (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
• 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

From what I've gathered on other threads here, this will probably run most games pretty well, at least at native settings, but I want to sociallly verify/negate that assumption! Will this lappy run games like MGS3/SoTC/DMC3/FFXII playably? *finger crossing*
mgs3 even a 3ghz cant... ff12 i think it can handle it(but you need to play with speedhacks and other staff allot)
sotc not at full fps but you can kinda be at playable speeds(with perfect settings!!!).
idk for dmc3
FFXII should run fine, no idea about DMC3, MGS3 and SoTC will need heavy speedhacks probably and maybe running in lower (native) resolutions.

In the end it is you who decide how playable the games are going to be for yourself. You will get slowdowns from time to time, heavy speedhacks will change the way the games run, using native resolution reduces quality and if you don't like the results then it could become unplayable for you Tongue2
DMC3 will need some hacking, it's intense on PCSX2
Sweet, thanks for the speedy info guys. Looking forward to fiddling with it!
You are fine with your GPU, its even better than the desktop 4670. So you don't need to go native on many games. The CPU, if it pushes itself to 2.66 Ghz properly with PCSX2 (I doubt that), you can play games at 30-40 fps. With speed hacks, you might get better results. Out of the list, MGS3 is the most intensive game. I play it at 25-35 fps with good sound on my laptop at 1366x768 internal resolution. It seemed too slow to me.
My laptop is lot worse than your's, an AMD Dual Core processor at 2.2 Ghz and ATI 4650.
no his gpu is not better than the 4670 and thats because mobile gpu's have worse performance than desktop ones. (but yeah its better than your gpu cause its a newer faster/better model of the same class). as i said even a desktop i7 9xx series at 3ghz will have problems with metal gear solid 3 at running it full speed.