..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [Bug Report] MLB Power Pros 2008 [NTSC-U]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Bug Report] MLB Power Pros 2008 [NTSC-U]

# PCSX2 version: 0.9.7 r3113 and SVN r3744
# CPU options: Default options
# Plugins used: GSdx r3068, r3623, r3693 - Direct3D9 hardware, software, and null
# Description: There is a severe memory leak related to GSdx that consumes all available memory and crashes GSdx after only a few minutes.

During gameplay, PCSX2's memory footprint keeps growing until, after a few minutes, it has consumed all available memory (2GB in my case--see attached screenshot). Eventually, when there is no more memory, PCSX2 will freeze and crash, sometimes bringing Windows down with it. Other than this leak, the game seems to play perfectly.

The quickest way to see the leak is to skip through the menus by repeatedly tapping X until you've started an exibition game. As you play the game, the memory steadily grows. For what it's worth, I noticed that it grows faster every time the camera angle changes.

I tried three versions of the GSdx plugin (r3068, r3623, r3693) on Direct3D9 hardware, software, and null modes, and all exhibited the leak. However, the ZeroGS plugin does not have the leak (it has its own, entirely different issues). I was able to play an entire game with ZeroGS, and the memory usage hovered around 350MB.

I tried different versions of PCSX2 and different options (hacks on/off, different resolutions, etc.) but in every case, GSdx leaked memory while ZeroGS did not. So it looks like the leak is somewhere in GSdx.

Test system specs:
* Windows XP SP3 (w/ latest DirectX)
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz)
* 2GB memory
* GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

If there is anything I can do to help solve this bug, please let me know. Is there, perhaps, a debug version of GSdx that logs memory allocations or something similar? This seems like a pretty big leak and should (hopefully) be easy to track down with some kind of memory logger.

Thanks.
Pretty good bug report. One other thing to test, try DX9 Hardware with native checked. Is the memory leak smaller? (meaning does it eat ram slower?) Would be nice if you could test it with DX10 Hardware but you're stuck on XP. I'll see if I can get my hands on the game for further testing
(09-10-2010, 08:03 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]One other thing to test, try DX9 Hardware with native checked. Is the memory leak smaller? (meaning does it eat ram slower?)
This was tough to test--the game is different every time you play. I tried playing a game for 4 minute stretches with native on vs. off, and the results were all over the map. (I'm such a dork, timing my games with my microwave timer.)

Then I tried just starting a game and watching the intro up to the first pitch so that it would be the same every time. I did that test a couple of times and this is what I got:
  • native checked: 960 MB on average
  • native unchecked: 990 MB on average
So, to answer your question, the leak might be a tad smaller with native checked, but not much. It's tough to tell. These tests weren't exactly scientific.
That's something to look into alright.
Gotta ask around if any of the tester brigade has this game Tongue2
# PCSX2 version: 0.9.7 r3113
# CPU options: Default options
# Plugins used: gsdx-sse4-r3068 - Direct3D10/11 (Hardware)
# Description: There is a severe memory leak related to GSdx that consumes all available memory and crashes GSdx after only a few minutes. (Same Problem With TS)

System:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5850
4GHz Memory
Windows 7 32 bi (x86)

The leaks goes up to 1.7 Ghz for me before it shuts down.

This happen in exhibition mode. I'll try to play the success mode and see if the problem persist, and will try to post the log.

Cheers
Just thought I'd confirm this bug. Huge memory leak as well. Eventually can't save or load states anymore - "Oh noes! out of memory!" - and soon after it will simply crash out to desktop.
Are you using 0.9.8? Cause that shouldn't happen with it
(05-26-2011, 11:02 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using 0.9.8? Cause that shouldn't happen with it

Why's that? I mean, MLB Power Pros 2008 isn't exactly a popular game so I wouldn't be surprised if a bug fix for it got missed or something.
The out of memory error was a pcsx2 core bug, nothing to do with the particular game.
(05-26-2011, 10:15 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]The out of memory error was a pcsx2 core bug, nothing to do with the particular game.

Then this bug must be similar to the core bug, but not actually the same exact bug. I'm using r4600
Pages: 1 2 3 4