..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: A question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which performs better NTSC or PAL?
pal games run maybe 1-1,5% faster (you wont even notice it)
and from what i have seen in different games the ntsc ones have a tiny advantage in compatibility over pal games
What exactly do you mean?

If you mean NTSC vs PAL games then it depends on the game, generally they should be the same but it depends in wether a PAL game was just a bad conversion of the NTSC or whatever. Sometimes you can end up with a PAL game that even when it's supposedly full speed it's running slower than the NTSC game at same full speed.
This greatly depends on a compatibility of a game to be emulated via PCSX2, if you mean by emulations that is. Some games in PCSX2 are better emulated when they're NTSC sometimes when they are PAL. If you mean by framelimiter (NTSC - 60, PAL - 50), that's quite normal, both would go same if are in full speed. If you mean when using these in a real PS2, I'm unsure about that, but I think they should be the same - one's for Europe market (PAL), the other one is for USA (NTSC). Unless, one's just a bad conversion of NTSC to PAL, or vice-versa, which would then preform a lot worse then the original.

If you are unsure which game is better emulated when they're in PAL or NTSC check compatibility list on pcsx's main site.
I'm not sure but I also believe some games only exist in NTSC, and some only in PAL. But, I have noticed some NTSC games are emulated better by PCSX (guess the creators are from USA Tongue).
What would happen if you enabled v-sync on a PAL game, if your Display Device (Monitor/TV) only supports 60 Hz?
@JTD;

Nothing would happen, it would just stop the horizontal tearing. You know how when you play a game sometimes it gets... torn? Like if people move quickly they'll tear in half for a microsecond with a line through it or something? It doesn't look broken, just bad. Vsync just lowers the frame rate from unlimited (infinity fps) to the same as the refresh rate selected (in this case 60hz, 60fps/50fps(PAL/NTSC respectively))

the FPS that a game generates is irrelevant to the Hz the screen goes at, the Hz is just how many refreshes per second the monitor does. Example, a game running at 5fps, on a 60hz monitor will only go at 5fps. But a 100fps game on a 60hz monitor will run at 100fps, or infinity. The fps speed, such as 25, 30, 50, 60, is all just a guideline. It can raise and fall, but overall it will only refresh as many time as the Hz of the screen allows.

Vsync just stops the fps from going higher than the hz of the monitor from what I understand, allowing it to draw one frame, stop, draw another frame, stop, instead of having to stop part way and start from where it is on the next frame (causing the tearing you might see)

Does that answer your question? :]
Yup, Thanks! Smile
Just to correct one things on vsync. vsync == vertical synchronization. It just a start/stop signal to synchronize the image send to your screen and the image draw to your screen at the same time. It ensures that you does not paint frame 1 in upper screen, and frame 2 in the lower parts.

The signal is only a clock at the frequency of your screen (50Hz <=> 20 ms). If you miss the first start signal to send your frame you must wait the second (so 40 ms in total). If not 2nd, go for the third (60ms) etc...
In previous case we obtains
1/ the frequency is 1/0.02= 50Hz
2/ the frequency is 1/0.04 = 25Hz (yeah the gap is big)
3/ the frequency is 1/0.06 = 16 Hz (etc..)

So if your gpu deliver a 45 fps you will have only 25fps.