..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Moding the PS2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello - I am in the process of trying to take something from my PS2 but I understand that to read the disk used to take that something I need to modify the PS2. How do i go about doing this? What are my options?

Cheers
Uh... could you try to explain better what exactly is it you're trying to do?
Im trying to take something out of it which will allow my Mac to act as an emulator for the PS2. I have a CD which has an .iso burnt to it. The PS2 can't read the CD instead it throws up - "Please insert a PS2 format disk."

I have done some searching and I understand that you need to modify the PS2 in order to run these CD's. I would like to know how others on this forum have moded their PS2 in order to run these disks.
(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: [ -> ]Im trying to take something out of it which will allow my Mac to act as an emulator for the PS2.
You can't take anything out of it.

(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a CD which has an .iso burnt to it. The PS2 can't read the CD instead it throws up - "Please insert a PS2 format disk."

That's normal in two ways:
1.If you mean that you have one file on the disk with .iso extension,then that's completely normal even if you can run backups.
2.If you mean normally burned game(with a lot of files inside,not just one with .iso extension),if you don't have a way to run backups,that message will appear

(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: [ -> ]I have done some searching and I understand that you need to modify the PS2 in order to run these CD's. I would like to know how others on this forum have moded their PS2 in order to run these disks.
There are 3 ways:
1.By using Swap Magic(purchased)
2.By soldering a modchip inside the PS2
3.By installing softmod into your memory card if your PS2 is not one of the newest slim models(this one requires a way to run backups...if someone else have a way to run them and have the same region PS2 as yours).
Edit: What he said Laugh
Swap magic is the easiest, least risky option. I would recommend getting the replacement fliplid (for the fat ps2) or magickey (for slim) so you don't ruin your tray motor though ;p
Cheers all for quick reply - I actually meant that the CD had a special file designed to extract something from the PS2.
I'll let you all know how I get on Tongue
Are you talking about the bios dumper
Yeah, the BIOS dumper Tongue2

Okay, I also recommend what ref did before:

- Swap Magic (bought) will work well.
- Also good but needs a friend with an already modded console: Ask him to install FreeMCBoot for you.
I hate Swap Magic, it's just too much of a hassle to use frequently. Modding or HDLoader FTW. And I don't even pirate if I can avoid it.
Pages: 1 2