..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: star ocean 3 problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi

as soon as i leave arygliph and try to open one particular chest
the game freezes up and gives me alot of missing address messages
has anyone else encountered this and can you fix it or should i just leave it alone and continue on playing
make savestates often and keep playing until the emulator crashes or hangs.
I've definitely gotten past their before... though it was with an older version of the emu... First thing to try would be to increase the level of clamping, then try changing the rounding mode in the emulator options. If neither of those work, you can try switching from microVU to SuperVU.
interestingly enough i didn't have to change any options.
i savestated before the chest tried to open it and it failed i did the same for a battle and i could fight it
then i went back to the chest and it let me open it.
so it seems it was just a temporary bug
TLB Miss - I pretty much always get this error when entering battle if my most recent savestate was made when the screen is busy (lots of things moving around etc). The moment you enter a battle, bam, game freezes and the log is full of TLB Miss. Try to load the savestate, emu hangs (i.e. the savestate is invalid). Hope you have an earlier state!

Solution is when you make a savestate do it with your menu pulled up. If you're saving during battle, pull up the menu which pauses the action before savestating. Key thing is to make sure things are paused and the screen not cluttered. This info is in the wiki btw.

When I did this I no longer get invalid saves or at least very rarely. Now I always make it a habit to savestate during pause menus. It certainly is noticeable that the states are more reliable. You might still see TLB Miss errors but at least the majority of your states should be valid and loadable.
If the sstate don't freeze the emulation before saving the memory it would be something for the devs to look upon, I think it does.

For myself I made this a habit to make "normal" sstates on slot 1 and batle sstates on slot 2, sometimes even further. Most important i made a habit to never rely on sstate to keep the last game session state, to it I save the game whenever I can make it on memcard.

It's not because I don't rely on sstate per si, but it's unreliable between emulator versions, doesn't forgive any corruption introduced either by some emulation fault or by the user (wrong cheat codes being the most common source). The sstate perpetuates that corruption since it saves everything, corruption included...

TLB can be seen as a cache, if the data is not found that message pointing the miss sprang and the data must be fetched from the actual place which introduces a heavy overhead. When that many happen it's signal the memory might be corrupted already.

The BEST solution I can tell is try passing that point and rush to a normal save point and do a memcard save ASAP... quit the emulation and restart the emulator loading from the memcard, NOT the sstate, hopefully this will recreate the background from the disc image and the corruptions are gone. Good Luck.

Afterward the newer sstates will be clean (notice reloading from the last sstate do not solve memory snapshot corruption issues).
Don't overlook the "quit the emulator and restart it loading from the memcard" step, it's not enough to reload from the same session (if possible) or at least it's not granted.
(04-16-2011, 05:26 PM)ravensshade Wrote: [ -> ]hi

as soon as i leave arygliph and try to open one particular chest
the game freezes up and gives me alot of missing address messages
has anyone else encountered this and can you fix it or should i just leave it alone and continue on playing

The screenshot says you have Patch's enabled.. and the Tlb miss usualy happens when a cheat code is used that is in error. i can see how that would crash it fairly easy. Though on most of the games ive cheated on "TLB,Miss" has never caused any real issue's apart from spamming my console. Most of the cheats/patch's ive used in the past work flawelessly Despite the incredible spam.

Try turning Patch's off?
TLB miss due to cheat codes implies that cheat code is wrong... it is writing wrong address and/or filling wrong values.

Still the "dangers" of careless cheating is not commonly understood. Unless the affected addresses contents are self renovating, any cheat code that write it becomes indelibly fixated in the memory, disabling the cheat is not enough to recover the previous content, doing a sstate perpetuate the issue... and many possible issues were not yet triggered and are just seating there waiting to explode.

The only hope in this case is doing a normal save (memcard), since only relevant data is actually saved and only data from the "data area". When the game is restarted freshly, after quitting the emulator and reloading from the memcard, all the background data and the code flow is loaded from the disc image, whatever memory corruption other than those actually saved on memcard (which normally does not create problems other than wrong statuses and the like) is gone, new sstates will be clean.

So, if recovering of wrong cheat codes, don't overlook the step of memcard saving, quitting the emulator and restart loading from the memcard, least not making the game unplayable ahead.

Of course, correcting the cheat or disabling it before the steps above is A MUST.
(04-17-2011, 11:04 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]TLB miss due to cheat codes implies that cheat code is wrong... it is writing wrong address and/or filling wrong values.

Still the "dangers" of careless cheating is not commonly understood. Unless the affected addresses contents are self renovating, any cheat code that write it becomes indelibly fixated in the memory, disabling the cheat is not enough, doing a sstate perpetuate the issue... and many possible issues were not yet triggered and are just seating there waiting to explode.

The only hope in this case is doing a normal save (memcard), since only relevant data is actually saved and only data from the "data area". When the game is restarted freshly, after quitting the emulator and reloading from the memcard, all the background data and the code flow is loaded from the disc image, whatever memory corruption other than those actually saved on memcard (which normally does not create problems other can wrong statuses and the like) is gone, new sstates will be clean.

So, if recovering of wrong cheat codes, don't overlook the step of memcard saving, quitting the emulator and restart loading from the memcard, least not making the game unplayable ahead.

There are certain games out there that will not allow you to use cheat codes when loading from a mem card, Even if they are valid. You will get Failed to load from mem card over and over, one of these games in particular is Grandia III. The solution was fairly simple though. Load the game without cheats enabled. Load your save. Then Savestate. Quit the emulator. load it back up, Enable cheats/patch's, Load the game.. Load the savestate. Problem solved.

As for codes staying in memmory and quitting the emulator i would be shocked if they actualy stayed in memmory and wasnt Flushed. And as long as those addresses are actualy injected into the emulator, you have nothing to worry about. There not hanging arround in your memmory doing anything else other than what you asked it to do.
Man, are you sure to have understood what I said? of course quitting the emulator flushes the memory, but the corruption already in the sstate will bring it back... should not be difficult to understand why not to rely in that sstate to reload a game where it is already corrupted...

All this talk about reloading from the memcard (AND YES, preferably with any cheat disabled in the while) is to create a sane background with no memory corruption where a new state will be clean. Once it is clean is safe to use it again to reload the game.

I think should not be needed to say that wrong cheat code obviously will corrupt everything again if not corrected.

PS: Your post show you did not read the previous posts where is said the nature of sstate is being a game's memory snapshot, whatever is corrupted in the memory is saved in the sstate and come back when reloaded from it.
Pages: 1 2