..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Super slow FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

I am very new to this emulating PS2 thingys and the reason why I dont use my PS2 is because my favourite game (Midnight Club 3: DUB edition remix) get stuck on the loading screen.

I tried it on my PC however and the game launched fine (although in german, a language that I dont understand :/ ) but the FPS was complete *****.

My PC specs:
Intel i5 750 @ 2.8 Ghz
ASUS ATI HD 5870v2
4GB RAM DDR3 (1333)
Windows 7 64bit

I did follow several config guides but however I try running the game, I alwasy end up with FPS lower than Crysis on a Pentium IV pc :/

If anyone could post their config or something that looks like a config I would really appreciate it Smile (Running PCSX2 0.9.8)

EDIT: Fixed the German language issue.

PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?
(05-10-2011, 05:01 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?

Plugin settings:

GSdx SSE41:
Direct 3D11 (Hardware)
blendtff (slight blur 1/2)
Custom resolution: 1920*1080
Texture filtering enabled

PCSX2 settings set to preset [#4] (agressive)

EE:20-40% (when slow)
GS:7-25% (when slow)
Try enabling the "Native" option and enabling/disabling "Allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx or switching to software mode (F9 while playing) and see if you get any difference at all.
First things first... disable speed hacks completely... Aggressive speed hacks are just that, aggressive. They can cause issues including slowdowns. After you disable all speed hacks, give the %'s again for EE and GS.

As for the game running in german... boot the bios by itself, make sure the language is in english. If it still tries to display the game in german use a full boot instead of a quick boot.
(05-10-2011, 11:54 PM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]First things first... disable speed hacks completely... Aggressive speed hacks are just that, aggressive. They can cause issues including slowdowns. After you disable all speed hacks, give the %'s again for EE and GS.

As for the game running in german... boot the bios by itself, make sure the language is in english. If it still tries to display the game in german use a full boot instead of a quick boot.

well, I did disable speedhacks

EE: 16-27%
GS: 7-17%

PLayed some more and the numbers changed after a while during the lowdowns...

EE: 70-99%
GS: 50-60%

all of it during slowdowns.
That 99% EE makes it very clear that your CPU is holding you up. Makes sense, IIRC this game was rather demanding on the processor (don't own it, just read it).

If Speedhacks haven't done it for you, then it's your CPU that needs to be stronger (2.8Ghz is "nothing special" with PCSX2). If you can OC, it will improve emulation speed. Otherwise, go for the "Aggressive plus" or even "Most Harmful" Presets. That's basically all you can do for any game your CPU falls short on.

UNLESS OF COURSE this is one of those games that will run faster with software rendering. Again, I can't speak from experience with this particular game, but I've encountered some that seriously need software rendering for any real speed.

Just reiterating Shadow Lady's advice. You never commented on it... (did you try it?)
Are you seriously saying that a 2.8 ghz quadcore is not enough to run it???
[/b]

U
(05-11-2011, 07:44 PM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]That 99% EE makes it very clear that your CPU is holding you up. Makes sense, IIRC this game was rather demanding on the processor (don't own it, just read it).

If Speedhacks haven't done it for you, then it's your CPU that needs to be stronger (2.8Ghz is "nothing special" with PCSX2). If you can OC, it will improve emulation speed. Otherwise, go for the "Aggressive plus" or even "Most Harmful" Presets. That's basically all you can do for any game your CPU falls short on.

UNLESS OF COURSE this is one of those games that will run faster with software rendering. Again, I can't speak from experience with this particular game, but I've encountered some that seriously need software rendering for any real speed.

Just reiterating Shadow Lady's advice. You never commented on it... (did you try it?)

Yes, he is serious about it. First because what dictates the CPU/GPU power need is not the emulator itself but the game being emulated; second the emulator does not uses all the cores atm.

PS: forgot the thirdh, try not comparing native games with emulated, they are too different to provide reliable results. One emulated game might flow like a calm stream while another can flow like troubled waters and yet another might not flow at all. Only now the hardware is becoming powerful enough to allow the developers to aim for real accuracy instead needing to recurs to all types and kind of compromises to achieve acceptable performance, that's the main reason for the speedhacks.
Racing games in particular seem to really push the PS2, and thus difficult to emulate on PCSX2 (not all racing games, but some of the hardest to emulate speed wise seem to be racing games, see GT4 for the penultimate example).

There are many games even on the latest processors overclocked to 5ghz that don't play full speed due to either emulation issues, or simply by the complexity of the game itself.
Pages: 1 2