..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How do you raise the FPS limit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are there other ways than using Turbo or Frameskipping to raise the FPS limit?
Oh and btw during King's Field, i have 10-25% GS and 5-15% EE and 60-70 fps when I am in the menu. When I exit out of the menu fps is 15-20 and GS is 30-45 and EE is 10-20%.
Find the "PCSX2_vm.ini" file in your inis, and open it with notepad. Scroll down a little more than half-way, until you see these:

FramerateNTSC=59.94
FrameratePAL=50.0

You can change the actual framelimit (per region) here. That is, assuming you're wanting to run at more than 60fps...
Where is inins at?
The "inis" folder inside of the folder where PCSX2 is.
If you chose to use the PCSX2 Installer, the default location of the inis folder would be in "My Documents\PCSX2".

Otherwise, you could find it in your PCSX2 directory (where the program is).
I tried to see if 100.00 would work but it still says 59.94 and the framelimit for NTSC and PAL are greyed out.

Windows 7 - 64 bit
NVIDIA Geforce 9200 graphics
3G8 DDR3 Memory
500 GB Hard Drive
Multi-In-One Card Reader

Physical RAM = 2815 MB
CPU name = AMD Athlon™ II 170u Processor
Vendor/Model = AuthenticAMD (stepping 03)
CPU speed = 1.999 ghz (1 logical thread)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = 078bfbff 00802009
x86EFlags = efd3fbff

That's the basics of my computer.
You need to edit a file, not a GUI setting.
What files? I tried to edit that file you told me and I saved it but both of the version are grey and unavalible.
Actually those PAL and NTSC settings are being mistaken, they are the TV standard reference the emulator uses to calculate internal timings, it was grayed for a reason since changing it can lead to many problems.

Disable Framelimiting is the way to increase actual FPS (providing the machine can achieve it) but I can't see any advantage in doing so other than for benchmark purposes since the way PC timings are dependent on real time and so the "motion" is seen equally matters not the FPS, in console is somewhat like fixed positions in each frame (somewhat like in movie frames) and so, the motion sense is directly dependent on FPS.

What I think the OP wants is the ability to fast forward, what can be regulated at the three boxes bellow Framelimiting (again, the final result depending on the machine power). The Tab Key toggles that FF mode.

And of course, AFTER trying the "speedhacks" first and the "Frame Skipping" if everything else is not enough.

PS: If in the end, the PAL/NTSC standard is to be changed, the file is (on newer releases) "PCSX2_vm.ini" found under "/Documents/PCSX2/inis" folder, I just hope you know what you are doing. The values are under the "EmuCore/GS" section.

PPS: In console emulation, the goal is to achieve the closest the TV standard reference, as saying reaching 59.94 or 50 (FPS) to get the correct speed, sometimes it is not enough because those values are not the game's FPS and even when reached it can be at cost of lagging situations and/or slowmotion (I know it sounds confuse, but the way to understand this is to think that to the Emulator, FPS is indeed the TV refresh rate at the console while the actual game's FPS does not have a sensible measure other than the player's perception). Notice the console itself can present issues on FPS all the while it grants the refresh rate is Always correct.

Pages: 1 2