..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PCSX2 beta (r2620254) issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

thanks for your effort to port this nice emulator to OSX. IMO OSX is the future. Your port runs already quite good.

But I have some problem reports and suggestions for you:

- Audio has an extreme lag. Something about 5 secs. If I disable all options like streching and realtime, it's still about 1 sec

- The default audio configuration has wav recording enabled

- Please add a default iso location in prefs.

- I have to manually open prefs first after every start or the app won't find the bios file defined in the prefs

Thanks and regards
Quote:IMO OSX is the future.

No it isn't.
Thats why you have an outdated in comparison to linux and windows port for you to play on your Apple Mac.

Quote:Audio has an extreme lag. Something about 5 secs. If I disable all options like streching and realtime, it's still about 1 sec

it uses PortAudio, which is a rotten piece of junk for outputting low latency audio with on any implementation whether it be linux with ALSA/OSS4 or Windows.

There are open issues for OSX involving the latency values.
Squall: Your tone man, fix it.

PortAudio on Windows has very low low latency if you use WASAPI in real time mode.
Maybe there's a different backend on OSX, too?
(07-21-2011, 03:51 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]Squall: Your tone man, fix it.

PortAudio on Windows has very low low latency if you use WASAPI in real time mode.

Fixed....

Conclusion: Install Windows, you get newer code and better latency.

@Rama
Yes, the backend does things differently on OSX.

i wonder why JACK wasn't considered.

Quote:PortAudio on Windows has very low low latency if you use WASAPI in real time mode.

Still more then ASIO or ASIO4All from my testing.
(07-21-2011, 03:56 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]Conclusion: Install Windows, you get newer code and better latency.

Well, my and others wet dream is to completly leave Windows. The CoreAudio interface in OSX is much better than anything in Windows. Maybe it's time then for an coreaudio plugin? For sure there are other cross platform audio wrappers that have no latency problems on OSX.

Sure, Apple's politics is a big problem. But Microsoft is not better. Windows advantage are the much better and advanced graphics drivers.

Quote:No it isn't.
Thats why you have an outdated in comparison to linux and windows port for you to play on your Apple Mac.
I think you never worked with OSX. It's imo the best working platform. I use hackintosh Smile

Edit:
Quote:PortAudio on Windows has very low low latency if you use WASAPI in real time mode.
BTW Audacity the audio editor also uses portaudio and has no latency problems on OSX. So I guess portaudio is not the reason for the huge latencies.
I have worked with and maintained a network of OSX machines, thats why i went back to windows, and had the idiot that suggested the usage of OSX fired for blowing the departments budget for systems i could get for 2.5x cheaper from a local supplier that doesn't make money of the blood and ruined dreams of chinese natives.

The last time Apple made a good OS was the PowerPC era.

Audacity is also tweaked to the core,

Back to topic,....
the port audio implementation is pretty standard, which does have latency issues.