..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Is my pc up to this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so it has been a couple of years since I last tried PCSX2. I'm having an urge to play PS2 games and the PS2 has been packed up in a box since I moved house.

My htpc spec is:

AMD Athlon II X2 240e (45w, 2.8GHz dual core processor)
2GB RAM (currently mulling going to 4GB)
Vista Ultimate x86
AMD HIS 6570 1GB DDR3 (it's a passively cooled low profile card.. this is a HTPC remember, but it plays Portal 2 maxed out at 1080p.. so it's pretty capable)

My desktop pc is obviously much beefier, but I'd much rather play my ps2 games on my couch in front of a 40" hdtv than at a seat in front of a 22" monitor.

My game collection consists of MGS 2 & 3, Shadow Of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X (and X-2, I know.. awful) and a few others I can't remember atm.

Am I likely to be able to play any of those at a playable speed or enhanced resolution over the standard PS2 res?

Thanks guys
I dont know about MGS 2 but MGS 3 is reaaaally heavy in CPU power if im not mistaken and what you have there is not enough. Btw, obviously you can play Portal 2 at the max settings but emulation is not the same than pc games. As for the others i think you can play FF X and X-2 just fine if you go with native resolution, and Shadow of The Colossus may work as well if you toy with speedhacks mainly VU Cycle Stealing, it does wonders for that game.
(08-12-2011, 12:18 PM)Gwitz Wrote: [ -> ]I dont know about MGS 2 but MGS 3 is reaaaally heavy in CPU power if im not mistaken and what you have there is not enough. Btw, obviously you can play Portal 2 at the max settings but emulation is not the same than pc games. As for the others i think you can play FF X and X-2 just fine if you go with native resolution, and Shadow of The Colossus may work as well if you toy with speedhacks mainly VU Cycle Stealing, it does wonders for that game.

Thanks, I've been using emulators since I owned an Amiga. So I'm okay on the knowledge of it. (I mentioned Portal 2 at max to give a reference of the gpu capabilities)

I'll be giving PCSX2 another go when I get home from work tonight. So here's hoping SOTC runs well. No big loss on MGS if they don't play at a reasonable speed. I tend to have a love/hate relationship with that series.

Same with the FF series, the only one I consistently like out of that series is 7 and I can just fire that up on the PS3 or on epsxe.