..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Sudden Drop in Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've just started using PCSX2, have set it up for the first time. In my complete ignorance of how this stuff works it took me some time to get it working but in the end I had it figured out and am now a few hours into Persona 3 FES (I'm attempting to do a MAX social links run which has required a lot of backing up and starting over). During most of the game everything seems to be running at full speed, which is fantastic and I am really pleased that the emulator works so well Things slow down when I enter combat but this is really only a minor annoyance.

However, now that I have come up on the first block boss battle I am running into a major problem. Although the game is running at full speed when I approach the boss as soon as the encounter begins things slow down to a crawl. I've really tried to grin and bear it but the game isn't even responsive enough for me to attack.

I know you guys probably get a lot of posts in the form of "game x is slow fix it for me" but I'm really hoping that there is something I've forgotten to do in setting it up or something stupid I am doing while running the game that you more intelligent, sophisticated and knowledgeable people will pick up on.

Is there anything I can do to up the speed here? I'm not even sure what the technical term is, frame rate I guess is the problem. I'm running the emulator with all the windows 7 aero features off with the program set to highest priority in the task manager and absolutely nothing else running. what else can I do?

This is my hardware.

This is the game before the battle.

This is the game during the battle.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me!
a quad core(c2q) try the buildbot version
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

and what is your video card?
Try this, open ur pcsx2, go to config tab, then in EE/IOP set clamp mode to none, do the same thing in VU's section, now go to Speedhacks section, enable the hacks and select the recommendend ones, plus Set EE Slider to 2 and VU to 1, optionally u can donwload the last svn from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/ extract in ur C drive and follow the instructions, then do what i say before and in the hacks section check the mtvu hack too, now go to GSdx plug in, and set ur resolution to native(u maybe wanna check if the game dont die with 2x or 3x upscale first)
Finally play da game and tell us how it go.

Cheers o/
You EE% goes up to 92% while GS% goes up to 200%. Follow Ecchiless solution to get a bit of boost.

You might need to change the Round modes as well.

1)Change the Round modes to nearest and Clamp mode to none. try the MTVU Hack.

2)Overclock your CPU to 3.0Ghz Smile
Don't forget to inform people that these settings WILL reduce compatibility and can cause crashes and other unexpected behavior Wink
EDIT: Leaving this here so the thread makes sense to readers, but do not in fact recommend the advice here, as other advice in the thread seems more sensible. See Ecchiless' suggestions on page 1.

I've got Persona 3 FES running on a fairly low-spec computer (laptop, actually). Which version of the emulator are you using? And plugins? My setup relies on an older version of everything, since on anything newer I get lots of slowdown for Persona games. That's the thing about emulators, sometimes newer isn't actually better. Here's my setup:

I'm using r1888 of the emulator (you'll have to look it up online somewhere).
Then I'm using "Gsdx 1406 (MSVC 15.00 SSE2) 0.1.15" for the graphics plugin and "ZeroSPU2 r1455 0.4.6" (I think I had to get the Gsdx online as well, but the SPU should be in r1888 y default). It seems like other versions of the emu, no matter how I configure them have some issues with slowdown, even the most recent one is far worse than this setup for Persona 3, but with those versions of the emu and plugins I got a good effect.
If you're going to be playing Persona 4, r1888 is the best for that as well from what I was able to determine.

Tweaks:
-> Persona 4 MUST be run in 16:9, otherwise I get a ridiculous amount of lag. No clue why. Haven't checked Persona 3 for this, since I prefer 16:9 anyway.
-> Under advanced options, set Round Mode to Chop/Zero, and Clamp to none for both EE and VU. Flush to Zero and Denormals are Zero are also active for both.

Only issues I've been able to locate:
-> The menus lag a little bit behind the input. Only noticeable on the name entry screen at the beginning of the game though, (and may be related to me using a PS3 controller for input via the motioninjoy drivers).
-> In the player menu, under S. Links, the character portraits have the drop shadows placed on top of the portrait, rather than behind. All other menus are fine.
-> Wasn't able to find any other issues with video, audio, or anything else, and I've played through roughly a third of the game.
(10-02-2011, 06:00 PM)RafeIx Wrote: [ -> ]I've got Persona 3 FES running on a fairly low-spec computer (laptop, actually). Which version of the emulator are you using? And plugins? My setup relies on an older version of everything, since on anything newer I get lots of slowdown for Persona games. That's the thing about emulators, sometimes newer isn't actually better. Here's my setup:

I'm using r1888 of the emulator (you'll have to look it up online somewhere).
Then I'm using "Gsdx 1406 (MSVC 15.00 SSE2) 0.1.15" for the graphics plugin and "ZeroSPU2 r1455 0.4.6" (I think I had to get the Gsdx online as well, but the SPU should be in r1888 y default). It seems like other versions of the emu, no matter how I configure them have some issues with slowdown, even the most recent one is far worse than this setup for Persona 3, but with those versions of the emu and plugins I got a good effect.
If you're going to be playing Persona 4, r1888 is the best for that as well from what I was able to determine.

Tweaks:
-> Persona 4 MUST be run in 16:9, otherwise I get a ridiculous amount of lag. No clue why. Haven't checked Persona 3 for this, since I prefer 16:9 anyway.
-> Under advanced options, set Round Mode to Chop/Zero, and Clamp to none for both EE and VU. Flush to Zero and Denormals are Zero are also active for both.

Only issues I've been able to locate:
-> The menus lag a little bit behind the input. Only noticeable on the name entry screen at the beginning of the game though, (and may be related to me using a PS3 controller for input via the motioninjoy drivers).
-> In the player menu, under S. Links, the character portraits have the drop shadows placed on top of the portrait, rather than behind. All other menus are fine.
-> Wasn't able to find any other issues with video, audio, or anything else, and I've played through roughly a third of the game.

I decided to try this first but am having a problem with the r1888 build. As soon as I run the .iso the emulator window disappears, so that I cannot load or save save states. Is there some other way to access them? Or can I stop the window from closing?

Also, any idea where I can get the Gsdx 1406 (MSVC 15.00 SSE2) 0.1.15? Google has tons of results but none of them are that exact name.
never mind
(10-03-2011, 07:35 AM)recoder Wrote: [ -> ]Here

*removed*

It has SSE2, SSSE3, and SSE4. Use the one that suits you.

Thank you so much for your help and your quick reply. Everyone has been so helpful and I really appreciate it since I really, really want to be able to play this game.

Now I've loaded the plugin that Rafeix recommended and I can test whether the configuration he is using works on the part of the game where I got stuck IF I can find a way to stop the main window from closing when I run the .iso, so that I can access save states. Is there a way to do this? It seems like there has to be, I just don't know how to do it.

Actually I guess I also need to figure out where this version keeps its save states so that I can copy mine in, but I figure if I can access save states I can just see where it makes that file and copy my file into that location :/
nothing
Pages: 1 2 3