..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Jak and Daxter running very slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, I'm completely new here. Just got the program about an hour ago so bear with me. (I've used Project64 and Epsxe though, so not a newbie to emulators altogether.)

Any way, I have PCSX2 up and running, all bios and plugins set up. The version I have is 0.9.8 I can run the .iso file for Jak and Daxter fine; it goes through the main PS2 title screen with nice sound and graphics, but once it gets to the actual game is when it runs terrible. I've got it to run smoothly once or twice for the first like 10 seconds, but after that the sound and graphics just run extremely slow. I've read that this emulator requires a top of the line computer, but I mean I just bought my HP laptop 3 months ago brand new. It's an HP Pavilion dv6-6135d with AMD A8-3500M APU 1.5 GHz processor, 6GB Ram, 64-bit. I feel like I should be able to run a simple PS2 game if I can run WoW at ultra graphics, Skyrim, and Battlefield 3. If you need me to supply you with any other info let me know, I would include it right here initially but I'm not exactly sure what would be needed for further assistance. Thanks in advance!

Edit: just thought I'd include all plugins I'm using. Check the attached picture.
first major mistake u made is to compare a pc game with an emulator Smile Emulators especially this one are way more heavier then any pc game out there, second even if I don't like to say that AMD Sux with PCSX2, mainly cause I like the brand myself aswell, it does seem that Intel have a major headstart with PCSX2 Smile Also not to mention, that a laptop is mostly 9 out of the 10 times too slow for PCSX2. Some games u can run with some tweaking. For example Final Fantasy X is one of the lighter games. The recommended CPU requirements are atleast a Quad Core of 3 GHz Smile
1.5 Ghz is too far from the minimum requirements...it may sure lag almost similar as a flooded people in Maple Story or Cabal Online or Dragon's Nest including most games of pcsx2.

in addition what is your video card?
the A8 of AMD is an APU, in otherwords it's a CPU + GPU in one and the onboard GPU is an AMD Radeon 6550D. Which is actually quite a good budget/IGP Smile Though the Speed of this APU is quite lowered. The Desktop version of the A8 runs if not mistaken @ 2.9Ghz normal and 3.8 Ghz at Turbo.
(12-24-2011, 06:22 PM)tallbender Wrote: [ -> ]1.5 Ghz is too far from the minimum requirements...it may sure lag almost similar as a flooded people in Maple Story or Cabal Online or Dragon's Nest including most games of pcsx2.

in addition what is your video card?

Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6750M. That's sad to hear though Sad..so do you think I basically have no hope of running it on my laptop? My desktop is much older but has a 2.21GHz processor..would that be up to par?
(12-24-2011, 06:19 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: [ -> ]first major mistake u made is to compare a pc game with an emulator Smile Emulators especially this one are way more heavier then any pc game out there, second even if I don't like to say that AMD Sux with PCSX2, mainly cause I like the brand myself aswell, it does seem that Intel have a major headstart with PCSX2 Smile Also not to mention, that a laptop is mostly 9 out of the 10 times too slow for PCSX2. Some games u can run with some tweaking. For example Final Fantasy X is one of the lighter games. The recommended CPU requirements are atleast a Quad Core of 3 GHz Smile

Hm, I didn't really think such a simple program would require so much! Emulators seemed so dulled down..but I guess I was wrong. So disappointing though, I've been wanting to play Jak and Daxter again for so long now Sad. Is there any other way you think I could get this to work on my laptop?

PS, I appreciate the quick responses guys!
well start with tweaking some settings, also try out the later SVN releases. from 0.9.9 (If not mistaken is A8 a quad core) a specific build u can turn on MTVU Hack under speedhacks and see if it'll speed up the game a bit.

It's not the latest SVN version, but try this version in this post

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Wild-ARMs...#pid201909
The latest SVN is always found here: http://pcsx2.net/svn.php
Thanks Bosit haha xP
wanna add. if mtvu doesn't boost (even tho it might kick a lil). try reducing the used cores for pcsx2 to 2 in the taskmanager. that might offer a better chance getting those 2 cores into the medium turbo-core setting without threading and syncing.

the processor is still a tad too slow for ps2 emulation.
Eh, well I just tried out ver 9.9..no luck, but this one had tons of new graphics plugins to use. I have a feeling none of them will help and my processor has met it's match..but are there any plugins with this new version that you guys think would work? All I want is to play this game in blissful nostalgia Sad
Pages: 1 2