..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Question regarding aspect ratio support.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there, new on the forums, and having experience when using other emulators that have, lets say "innovative support" lately, I have a question regarding widescreen support.

I know that from experience, the Wii emulator Dolphin supports non-stretched widescreen images for all aspect ratios. This lets people like me play a game through Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround at resolutions like 5760x1200.

Question is, does the latest build of PCSX2 contain the same type of support that Dolphin and the latest build of Project64 have? If they don't, is there any hope for the dev team having interest in implementing this support?
As far as I know you can take resolutions upto 6x in custom resolution although 4x,5x and 6x don't look too different.
Dolphin's way of increasing resolution is different than pcsx2 so I think even though you might be able to achieve that insane resolution you mentioned above in pcsx2 ,you'll have graphical bugs due to overstretched res.
You can ask Gabest about it.He's the brains behind the gsdx plugin Smile
(06-18-2012, 06:57 AM)PostalDude Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know you can take resolutions upto 6x in custom resolution although 4x,5x and 6x don't look too different.
Dolphin's way of increasing resolution is different than pcsx2 so I think even though you might be able to achieve that insane resolution you mentioned above in pcsx2 ,you'll have graphical bugs due to overstretched res.
You can ask Gabest about it.He's the brains behind the gsdx plugin Smile

I see. Well, I stumbled on a thread through the search function that everyone stopped responding to last year. The thread author made a great image comparison between a Eyefinity aspect ratio, and a standard 4:3 aspect ratio. Here's the thread: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Forcing-Games-to-Render-in-Different-Aspect-Ratios

Now, I know it's only been a year, but here's hoping that perhaps some things might have changed. Either way, I'm going to try out some things my self - hopefully it at least doesn't stretch the aspect ratio!
Well you can give it a shot and see but I am doubtful if it'll run without any glitches at resolutions above 4x.
IMO 3x scales the best and many games work abd look pretty good.
(06-18-2012, 07:06 AM)PostalDude Wrote: [ -> ]Well you can give it a shot and see but I am doubtful if it'll run without any glitches at resolutions above 4x.
IMO 3x scales the best and many games work abd look pretty good.

Looks like PCSX2 only streches images. I can get the game to run at my resolution, but the image is extremely stretched.

I was talking about fitting aspect ratios earlier. So it seems it's not supported, or am I missing something?
Aspect ratio can be changed in Config > Emulation Settings > GS Window > Aspect Ratio. You can also change the window size from here, but that won't affect your games in full screen.

Besides those and resolution there's nothing else as far as resizing goes.
(06-18-2012, 08:35 AM)TheMetal Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like PCSX2 only streches images. I can get the game to run at my resolution, but the image is extremely stretched.

I was talking about fitting aspect ratios earlier. So it seems it's not supported, or am I missing something?

If your game got support to switch aspect ratios in game, use them...

Or you can try searching in this forum for widescreen patches for that particular game...
Yeah, what she said. Check out this topic that's totally dedicated to widescreen patches.
(06-18-2012, 11:12 AM)Alexander Moore Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, what she said. Check out this topic that's totally dedicated to widescreen patches.

I see, thanks for the info.

So then, regarding "outlandish" aspect ratios, like that of an Eyefinity/NVIDIA Surround user, does the team have any future plans to allow this kind of flexibility?

Again, I have other emulators such as nullDC and Dolphin in mind when I talk about supporting triple-wide aspect ratios.
(06-20-2012, 07:40 AM)TheMetal Wrote: [ -> ]I see, thanks for the info.

So then, regarding "outlandish" aspect ratios, like that of an Eyefinity/NVIDIA Surround user, does the team have any future plans to allow this kind of flexibility?

Again, I have other emulators such as nullDC and Dolphin in mind when I talk about supporting triple-wide aspect ratios.

Well I have no idea how Dolphin does it but from what I've read for Ps2 games there are many different x, y and z sort of values that need to be specifically edited, to develop an automatic detector/editor for these values..... You'd need an answer from a coder for that.
Pages: 1 2