..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Lets talk hypothetically here...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If the playground project was a funded project, as in everyone from the devs to the testers got paid on a salary basis, how much do you think quarterly budget for the whole project would be? How long do you think it would take them to make a *near perfect emulator? And how much do you think a program like playground would cost if it was backed up by Sony? Again I don't mean to piss anyone off or anything this is just speaking hypothetically. Lets hear some thoughts.
(01-22-2009, 07:26 AM)SoL1D Wrote: [ -> ]If the playground project was a funded project, as in everyone from the devs to the testers got paid on a salary basis, how much do you think quarterly budget for the whole project would be? How long do you think it would take them to make a *near perfect emulator? And how much do you think a program like playground would cost if it was backed up by Sony? Again I don't mean to piss anyone off or anything this is just speaking hypothetically. Lets hear some thoughts.

A quarterly budget would depend entirely on how much you payed the devs. Since you can't really just pull programmers from the market and expect them to code you a dynarec/binary translator, the devs could demand any price and you would be forced to pay it.
I love projects such as this because it brings out the very best in developers. No cubicle jockey could be hired to replace any of the devs, if only because the knowledge required to code an emulator is so archaic and self-taught that it simply isn't present in the market workforce.

Even if the emulator had the backing of Sony, I doubt the devs would use any documents or expertise they gave. Keeping the emulator clean of any licensing issues would be a major concern, and nothing Sony could offer would be worth risking the entire project being taken over.

Estimating the cost of the project is very hard, since it's been in development for so long as an open-source endeavor. Suffice to say that it's high enough that no company would attempt it without one hell of a goal. Sony developed their own for the PS3, and even that one isn't perfect.

Estimating how long it would take to complete in a traditional software design cycle is even harder. There's no schedule, no deadlines, no market pressure to push the next version out; none of the tell-tale signs of software design are present to gauge a completion date from. 3 years of full-time development by highly knowledgeable staff would be my lower estimate, but it's anyone's guess.

Hypothesize away Smile
well all i know is that if i got paid for it, i would definitely be more active for 3 reasons:
1) I can quit my current part-time job. (assuming i would make more than or equal to $800 a month)
2) I would actually have a 'goal', and thus be more focused/active, instead of just coding for fun.
3) I would finally be getting paid for something I enjoy doing. (a job i enjoy is something i've always wanted)

anyways, realistically speaking echosierra makes valid points.