..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [Solved] Make PCSX2 use different folders than My Documents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I know there are options in the emulator to set the folder locations to some different paths and I already successfully moved all the .ini files to a different location (so there are no files for PCSX2 in My Documents).

However for some reason he still accesses the folders
"..\My Documents\PCSX2\bios" and
"..\My Documents\PCSX2\inis".

I know he uses them because they are created everytime I delete them and start the emulator afterwards (note that there are no files in them at any time).

I dug around a little bit in the registry (thats where I could modify the ini folder path btw) and already set the "UseDefaultSettingsFolder" to "disabled" but that didn't change anything.
Maybe someone has a solution for this? Thanks in advance Wink
If you have an installation build of PCSX2 uninstall it, and then use a local file build that just unzips to a folder, without installing.
make a file in your pcsx2 folder called "portable.ini", that will force pcsx2 to use its current location.
(11-30-2012, 06:59 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]make a file in your pcsx2 folder called "portable.ini", that will force pcsx2 to use its current location.
That worked, thanks Smile

@Asmodean: I'm sure your solution would also work but the above one is just quicker for me
(11-30-2012, 07:12 PM)Triver Wrote: [ -> ]That worked, thanks Smile

@Asmodean: I'm sure your solution would also work but the above one is just quicker for me

Let me tell you a secret, was not because those files were at My documents. It was because the emulator was installed at C:\Program files or C:\Program Files (x86) that's sadly is the default for Windows.

Avoid installing games in such folders, it's valid for PC games also, mainly those which use mods and/or plugins.

For being a protected folder, the same applies for installing directly into the My Documents folder.

Notice that there is no problem if the ini, config, saves and stuff is located at My Documents... the problem is "running" the application from inside any those "protected folders".

The best advice that can be given is:

Create yourself a folder, let's say C:\Games and install all games there. Actually could be (and is even better) if it's another partition or driver than C: ... if not for any other reason, to keep the Windows partition small, what has a series of advantages.