..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Adding more Ram will increase performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there amigos.
I recently joined the emulation world and I started playing one of my favorites games "Final Fantasy X" the game runs pretty smooth at 60 fps. My laptop is not really a "gamer" laptop, but it has very decent specs and I was thinking if maybe adding more ram would increase overall performance.

These are my specs:

Intel i5 processor 2.5 ghz with turboboost 3.1 ghz
4 gb ram
Ati radeon hd 7550/7650m 1 gb dedicated
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

I'm using pcsx2 1.0.0 built with gsd directx11 hardware, using a custom resolution of 1366x768 with 2x AA.

The reason I was wondering if adding extra ram (let's say another 4gb) will increase overall performance is because the game suffers from ocassional framerate dropdowns (sometimes during some spells) going down to 40 fps and then returning to 60. I'm not really good with computer settings or stuff and I'm not really sure how the emulator use the system resources in order to get good performance so that's why i'm here to ask the experts Wink hope you can guide me.
no it wont help at all.

try these settings:

graphics settings
native (2x tops, but then you wouldnt have always 60fps)
hardware hacks skipdraw = 1 (fixes some effects)

speedhacks:
EEcyclerate 2
mtvu hack enabled
(02-05-2013, 12:04 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: [ -> ]no it wont help at all.

try these settings:

graphics settings
native (2x tops, but then you wouldnt have always 60fps)
hardware hacks skipdraw = 1 (fixes some effects)

speedhacks:
EEcyclerate 2
mtvu hack enabled

I see, I can play with up to 4x without suffering any dropdowns and with a constant 59-60 fps. The only problem is when using some spells (demi for example) I tried lowering down the resolution to native and 0 MSAA but the problem persisted. So probably I'll just have to go through the options and verify if the hardware hack skipsdraw helps solving the issue. Thank you very much buddy.
You could try the mtvu speedhack, although it doesn't always help on dual cores
I said this atleast 3 times already more ram DOES give a slight performance increase. When I went from 4 to 8 GByte (Same speed (800 Mhz)) I got an 2 to 5 fps increase. Smile
(02-05-2013, 12:18 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]You could try the mtvu speedhack, although it doesn't always help on dual cores

doubt its a dualcore, most of the i5 with a dedicated videocards are quads.
All mobile i5s are dual-core.

Lower the resolution to 3x and you will not suffer from frame drop anymore.
(02-05-2013, 02:09 PM)Livy Wrote: [ -> ]All mobile i5s are dual-core.

hmm always thought there were also quad based i5's :/
meh, leaned something today xP
(02-05-2013, 03:48 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: [ -> ]hmm always thought there were also quad based i5's :/

You we're not wrong, my i5 is quadcore Laugh not all i5 are dual core.
(02-05-2013, 03:48 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: [ -> ]hmm always thought there were also quad based i5's :/
Nevermind last comment, I researched and apparently there's only 2 physical cores and each core has 2 logical cores, so that's why some benchmark and hardware info programs detect it as a quadcore.
Pages: 1 2