..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Struggling to play MGS2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey. I've been having an issue trying to play MGS2 and I'm rather confused as to why. I've used the search and seen people trying to play it on older systems, however my system is semi decent and I can play BF3 on full graphics with barely any hicups.

I have:
Intel Quad Core Processor
6GB RAM
Radeon HD 6800 Series GFX Card

However MGS2 is extremely sluggish and the audio sounds as though you've reduced the speed by 5. Any ideas why?
What is your cpu exactly ? ( model, clockspeed)
And please dont compare pc gaming to emulaion unless you want to look ridiculous...
Get the latest svn version and use the mtvu speedhack. Also try lowering the resolution in gsdx to native.
I'm not comparing pc gaming to emulation, however I am giving an indication on how much power the computer has in comparison to somebody who tries to play with an Intel Atom and 1GB ram

My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz per core

(03-06-2013, 06:38 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Get the latest svn version and use the mtvu speedhack. Also try lowering the resolution in gsdx to native.

I've tried various resolutions as well as native, as well as 2x 3x native, and so on.
(03-06-2013, 07:52 PM)RetroSpock Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not comparing pc gaming to emulation, however I am giving an indication on how much power the computer has in comparison to somebody who tries to play with an Intel Atom and 1GB ram

My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz per core
still, that's not significant since 2.4 Ghz may be enough for BF3, but really not enough for intensive emulated games like MGS2...

what do the EE% & GS% say when you get slowdowns ?
PC games = GPU Intensive
Emulation = CPU Intensive.

If you want super smooth gameplay, you want to be looking at about 3.4Ghz processor speed. So you will have to either overclock that one (which will go to at least 3Ghz) or get a newer cpu/motherboard/ram
PC Games are also CPU Intensive though Refract Smile
not as much as emulators, the performance impact is much much smaller in PC games and benefits greater from a better GPU.
Well, there are some PC games CPU intensive but nowadays the emphasis goes to graphics and not that much in the processing.

As examples of CPU intensive games you could take simulators and few others, like Skyrim. In this last case is because it is mostly a direct port from console which have lesser GPUs compared with modern PCs and then great deal of the graphics processing was pushed on the CPU (not counting the "stupid" amount of concurrent scripts and AI running in such games).
I'm just going to invest in a decent capture device instead of using the emulator, it will make life much easier Smile

Thank you all for your input.

-edit-

I do have an EzCap, however the quality on it is terrible, hence why I wanted to try the emulator... But what can you expect from a £15 cable? Tongue
Pages: 1 2