..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Doesn't PCSX2 save memory cards' states when saving states?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had overwritten a save slot in-game by mistake and I loaded a save state hoping to recover the save slot. But the save slot doesn't change after loading the save state.

Is there any way to recover the overwritten save slot?
Is created a backup... but if you overwrote the backup also...

I'm not sure to have understood the problem. Let's imagine you mean to have written the slot 5, then whatever was there is lost (least recovered immediately from the backup) and once it's gone there is no return.

I understand the drama, once I suggested automatic rotating save slots (including the option of autosave). The suggestion included keeping a set of manually saved slots (like it is now) but maybe should not be encouraged the use of sstates to "actually" keep save games, this is the function of memcards and for a reason.

Well, the suggestion is still up.
Thank you for the answer. However, I overwrote the in-game save slot (memory card) not the PCSX2 save slot. I wanted to recover it by loading the PCSX2 save slot created before that but I found that the in-game save slot wasn't changed (still overwritten).
(03-08-2013, 03:24 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the answer. However, I overwrote the in-game save slot (memory card) not the PCSX2 save slot. I wanted to recover it by loading the PCSX2 save slot created before that but I found that the in-game save slot wasn't changed (still overwritten).

It's still confusing. The sstate (what you call the in-game save) is totally different from the memcard slot. The only interaction they have is the memcard may be protected if the sstate will change it someway (is like it is ejected to prevent content damage).

If you have a sstate at the point you want to return, load it and go to the nearest save point and save the memcard once again. Else, the previous answer is still valid, you need a saved game of any type to be able to return to that point in the game (what means if you erased all them you are out of luck).
I mean I overwrote a memcard slot and I thought that loading an sstate would recover the overwritten memcard slot. However, after loading an sstate the memcard slot is still overwritten.
Simple, straightforward explanation:

Memory card is stored on hdd and not connected to game/emulation in any way except during saving/loading sequence(and using savestate during that is totally NOT recommended;p).
Savestates are memory dump, hence not connected to any externally stored stuff like memory cards.

Conclusion:
You can load past savestate(if you have any back where you want) and save the game manually once again, but just loading savestate will not affect memory card in any way, it wouldn't really have much sense to begin with;P.
I think I begin to understand the problem. If you overwrote the memcard slot then it is overwritten, you need to save at the same slot again and hope you have a save state at the point you want to return, else, repeating, you are out of luck.

On the other hand, having a sstate at the point you want to return is not enough... you still need to load from it, hurry to the nearest save point and do a new memcard save.

So, no, the memcard is not saved, it's external to the emulator like miseru explained. The sstate does not touch it.
Thanks. It would be nice if it saved the memory cards' state as well.
Just to clarify. Savestates are a "snapshop of the current state of the emulation", memorycards are not part of this as they have no state during emulation.

To get savestates to backup saves for that game as well would be a lot of work. not to mention, what if you do a state then make a memorycard save later on, come out and reload the savestate instead of the memorycard save? You would lose all your progress as it would overwrite your savegame. Also if you format or change memorycard, you could end up destroying the save for another game.

In short, putting memorycard "states" in savestates is in no way feasable or sensible to do.
Thanks for the clarification.
Pages: 1 2