..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Poor performance on GE60 [Star Ocean 3]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've recently purchased a new MSI GE60 laptop, i7-3630qm, GT650m, 8gb ddr3 1600mhz.

To give it a test drive I decided to try out PCSX2 on it, but so far have been disappointed. I've been met with graphical glitches [purple glow effect in battle remaining throughout] and slowdown on the native resolution. I've tried a fair few combinations of speedhacks and Direct x modes but I still cant seem to get the game to run at a satisfactory consistent speed. Direct x 9 software with 8 extra threads seems to have the best speed but will sometimes hang momentarily. This game runs pretty much perfectly on my 4 year old desktop [AMD 1055T OCd to 3.6, AMD 6870].

Am I just expecting too much from this mid range mobile GPU? I was under the impression that the majority of the load in emulation was on the CPU.

Any help would be appreciated. I will happily post screens of my settings, but I have used a wide range of them so I would rather take suggestions and go from there.
In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU lcockspeed, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
[*] Your hardware specs - CPU lcockspeed, Operating System.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 2.4ghz [turbo to 3.4]

[*] The version of PCSX2 you are using.

Tried 0.9.8 and 1.0.0

[*] Any non default settings you are using.

I have tried on default and a combination of many different speedhacks as detailed in my above post, but as an example of one of the setups I have tried:

[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_Speedhacks.png]

[Image: pcsx2%20gdsx.PNG]

[*] What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

I am currently trying to play them from iso as the load times are much faster, though I can attempt with the dvds if needed.
tried dx10 hardware instead of dx9 ?
(05-02-2013, 06:56 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]tried dx10 hardware instead of dx9 ?

Only DX 9 and 11 are available, I have tried both though.
what do the ee% & gs% say when you get slowdowns ?
did you set your power plan to performance mode ?
Oh yeah, turning high performance on has solved the issues in native resolution on the most part, but at 2x Native it's still pretty slow.

[Image: slowdown.PNG]

Also here's a snapshot of it experiencing slowdown with the purple glitch I was talking about. It's an effect that s part of the game but is only supposed to appear on one character during a certain attack, rather than applying to all characters and staying there.

[Image: Star%20Ocean%20Purple.png]

Edit: the slowdown is actually still there in High performance, just not quite as prevalent, more noticable when the purple glitch occurs.
you'll need to use some speedhacks.
unfortunately, that 650m will reapidly struggle in GPU intensive games.
same for your CPU (see that EE= 89% ?)
Any ideas on how to fix the purple glitch? Maybe a different GPU plugin? I've been using speedhacks already, any advice on other settings to mess with?
Give latest svn a try.
Maybe it´ll work.
Pages: 1 2