..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: why GSDX ( PCSX2 ) much more GPU intense than CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well yeah like mid-low range GPUs like HD7670 can barely pull it throw with most of games

while a 3 GHz quad core AMD non piledrive ( mid-low CPUs Biggrin ) can pull it off with a lot of games specially with MTVU Smile

like i thought Emulation require calculations and synchronizing ( aka CPU power ) more than GPU brute force

yet in PCSX2 we have downclocked EE ( EE cycle rate speed hacks ) while we have to emulate full power of GS all of the time Laugh

with GSDX : Try lower res and pray that it will work because that's your only option

with PCSX2 : enable speedhack xxxx put rounding to xxxx , xxx etc. ( lots of option that eventually you will get past unplayable framerate in most Hardware )

i know you will probably tell me go study 10 years of DX and show us your work Blush

but please can anyone tell me why GS emulation is much more intense and more complex than any other component !
it depends on the game to if that is true or not and you can usually tell from the bar at the top having the GS value up at +90% then you know the GS emulation is slowing you down.

sometimes engines are just a pain or do weird stuff directx cant cope very well with, so running software mode (f9) can sometimes bring huge improvements.
ok still what you said have nothing to do with this

EE emulation is also game based yet as i said it's very rare to end up with unplayable framerate unlike GS emulation

why GS emulation is Advancing much less slowly ( if advancing at all )

and can you move this to a more popular and relevant forum Biggrin
(05-10-2013, 08:50 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]sometimes engines are just a pain or do weird stuff directx cant cope very well with, so running software mode (f9) can sometimes bring huge improvements.

OpenGL ?
OpenGL.. Not sure if that would help or hinder to be honest... It's hard to say as there isn't a plugin as optimized as gsdx with opengl. The linux ZZOgl is reasonably slow.
openGL won't change anythings, the backend part of GPU driver is common between GL and Dx (and ultimately the GPU are the same Tongue2). PS2 architecture doesn't map well to the PC architecture. An unified memory as PS4 could help in my opinion.